1917 quarter Type ? and 1899 Morgan die crack. Good or Bad ?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quarter is a type 1. Type 2 has stars under the eagle on the reverse. Not sure about a die crack.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those types of die cracks are fairly common on the Morgans. I doubt there is much of a premium on it, if any.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
The quarter is Type one. Only one word... "BOOBS!"

The die cracks are pretty advanced on the coin, but not yet to a point where the coin would have additional value. I think you need to start to get design obscuring or special placement of the crack to get value (unicorn, bucked teeth, cuds, so on).

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Both dandy coins. Since you posted in Treasure Hunting, you found both these with a detector?

Actually, this is a room for coins. It doesn't matter how he got them, what matters is that they are treasure. Go hang out in the detecting rooms if you are going to run down people who get their treasures in ways other than yours.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, this is a room for coins. It doesn't matter how he got them, what matters is that they are treasure. Go hang out in the detecting rooms if you are going to run down people who get their treasures in ways other than yours.
I think that's a bit uncalled for. I don't see anything in his post that is meant to "run down" anyone. He merely asked if they were found with a detector......which is a fair question.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that's a bit uncalled for. I don't see anything in his post that is meant to "run down" anyone. He merely asked if they were found with a detector......which is a fair question.

You're probably right. I interpreted his question as a dig that this is a Detecting sight. Perhaps misinterpreted...

OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Oops. My bad . Should have included that I got them from relative in original post. Sorry. Thanks for comments and info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread