How to get a 10 year-old interested in metal detecting

BarnNB

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2016
Quispamsis, New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took my kid out metal detecting on the shores of Grand Lake, New Brunswick, last year. Third hole of the day, and this pops out. Probably my best find so far, although not nearly the oldest (by about a 150 years).

2016-05-14 13.41.20.jpg

2016-05-14 13.41.37.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
How to get a kid interested in metal detecting? Simple. Whatever it is he wants most, just had him a metal detector and tell him it's buried somewhere within a 10 mile radius. All he has to do is find it. :laughing9:

I guess for you city-folk, 10 block radius would be sufficient!

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How to get a kid interested in metal detecting? Simple. Whatever it is he wants most, just had him a metal detector and tell him it's buried somewhere within a 10 mile radius. All he has to do is find it. :laughing9:

I guess for you city-folk, 10 block radius would be sufficient!
What if he wants a PUPPY :icon_scratch:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
First, purchase an older Gold Coin and it doesn't matter if it is not in the best condition. Second, take it to a private (permission only) location where you are allowed to hunt, dig a plug, pop the coin in making sure to get it nice and dirty, replace the plug insuring that the 10 year old can't tell that it was dug and replaced. Third, take the 10 year old out to the location and put him or her in the general area. Hopefully he or she will find it and if not, try to get him or her to go back over the area much slower. If and when the kid finds and pops out that Gold Coin, he or she will yell to the top of their' lungs and will be hooked on metal detecting forever.

Good luck!

Frank

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Leave him alone. When he's older he may want to take it up. But do not force him.He'll never want to if forced. He'll become a biker, date fast women and start drinking at the age of 12, cigars at 14, Mexican ho's at 16. Oh wait, that was me. Never mind...

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin find, but if you dug it .......I do get yr point.

My 8 year old would get mad that he did not dig it or It was not a Computer Game.

I want my sons First Nice Dig to be a "Natural" one .

OP.. Does your son expect to dig such coins every time out?

Plus the "150" year comment was overkill.

Sorry I'm in a mood today , For Real I hope your son takes to Detecting.

OP
OP
B

BarnNB

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2016
Quispamsis, New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry - I've confused everyone.

This is the actual coin that my kid and I actually found the first time I took him out last year.

My oldest find is a George II halfpenny found the year before (hence the reference to 150 years).

Last edited:

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either he or she is susceptible to the bug or they're not. I have twin boys NEITHER are interested, thought maybe one of them? Wish I woulda started when I was a youngster.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't get involved into coin collecting til I was about 13, freshman in high school (1961). Only wish I would have started in the early 50's; I'm sure that back then all key date coins were pocket change present for the stacking, not to mention that every dime quarter & half were ALL SILVER. Who was to know back then ???
Give them time to grow into the hobby, they may turn out to be your biggest adversary.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread