Odd PMD penny?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would someone have been able to do this to this penny? Wouldn't a vice destroy one side? The details are exact to a real penny weighs the same.... Odd
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
That is a DDR, at least, Spartcom5. Looks like a possible DDO as well. May be one-of-a-kind! BANNER!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have the same thing on both sides, so it was placed between 2 coins. The vice never made contact with said coin.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have the same thing on both sides, so it was placed between 2 coins. The vice never made contact with said coin.
I'm still completely confused by this because if it was smashed together on both sides shouldn't it be smashed thin? Because its not really and also wouldn't the details of the original 1999 penny be smashed to nothing? They're completely strong and there as if they were never smashed.... And the coin that is on the 1999 details are strong as well it's so confusing to type this but hopefully you understand lol I should note I did take it to two coin stores and one thought it was completely real and was sent through the press again and they've been collecting for 40+ years and the other store found no indication it was fake... Will wait for more input 99% sure you're right though!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It obviously was not run through the press a second time. One of the impressions is reversed, the only way this could happen is from another coin, not the die. How much damage is done to the coin is totally dependent on how much pressure was applied.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rim looks deformed. It really doesn't take a great deal of pressure to transfer the design. Besides, the added design is in reverse. That tells you it was done on purpose.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
There needs to be a new acronym for coins such as the OP's! Instead of PMD (Post Mint Damaged) coins, they should be called PMM coins with the PMM meaning Post Mint Manipulated.

Frank

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one like this last week. I did not post it here. Mine also has the negative image like yours. Perhaps a coinstar smashed it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions