1965 Gem BU quarters not accepted by coinstar

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
So I had a tube with 28 quarters all 1965 all gem bu, rather than mess around with them I dumped them into a coinstar machine, out of the 28, 12 of them keep getting kicked back out for some reason. They are not silver. I tried a few different coinstar machines in the area, these 12 quarters always get rejected. Any thoughts on why? The weights are all right around 5.70 grams, the only thing I could find was that the circumference is .958 - .960" measured with a vernier caliper, in checking some normal quarters of the same vintage, I was getting .953 - .955", thats about the only difference I can tell.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you put "gem bu" quarters into a coin machine?

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where in PA do you live? If you're close enough to me, I may have to get a box or two of quarters............

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Why would you put "gem bu" quarters into a coin machine?

Because, some years are so common, that all they are worth is Face Value, regardless of condition. They made 1.82 BILLION of them. You will see them in coin guides at $.35, $.50, maybe even $1.00 each. Good luck selling them for that. He got the highest and best use from them.

OP
OP
R

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
Because it wasnt a whole roll, I was not sending them in for grading so I threw them in the Coinstar but 12 came back anyway.

OP
OP
R

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
If you are interested in those kinds of coins I listed a pile of gem BU quarters and nickles in the classifieds, make an offer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread