Is this a double die of both front and back???

Onlyoneag

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found this 1974 no mint double die quater, on the front side the edge or rim is double died, on the reverse near the Eagles neck both sides seemed to be doubled as well, im knew to the collecting bug bite, so any help i would appreciate 14665318199191017226165.jpg 1466531871438393577383.jpg 14665319050482127497882.jpg 14665319429441060168258.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You sure have "something" interesting!

What is it exactly that you're seeing on the reverse near the neck?

OP
OP
O

Onlyoneag

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure have "something" interesting!

What is it exactly that you're seeing on the reverse near the neck?

Starts from the wing curving up ends near the beak. Doubling of some sort.

OP
OP
O

Onlyoneag

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also close AM, is there a reason there is no mint?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
The reverse is definitely dd, although the photo is out of focus. How to tell: the lettering is doubled.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Tuberale, on the reverse, are you looking at the smaller image or the larger? The larger is out of focus, but the smaller shows much better detail. I don't see doubled letters on the smaller image. ...Then again, my vision still fluctuates wildly sometimes as well. :crybaby2:

I see "something" to the left of the neck, but my extreme lack of knowledge in this area keeps me from knowing just what.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No mintmark because it was minted in Philadelphia, and close AM does not apply to quarters. I am sure more info will be coming from some of the error folks.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is doubling, but its machine doubling. Not a "doubled" die. There is no added value for this coin.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, that isn't doubling on the rim on the obverse. That is caused by a slightly misaligned die. No added value for that either. I would suggest doing some studying of the minting process if this is a hobby you're going to jump into.

OP
OP
O

Onlyoneag

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys for info. I will continue to do research of coins, meanings,differences etc. Its exciting to find something anything on the coins.

OP
OP
O

Onlyoneag

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What u see on the left is what i am referring to it looks like a outline all the way to the beak

OP
OP
O

Onlyoneag

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale, on the reverse, are you looking at the smaller image or the larger? The larger is out of focus, but the smaller shows much better detail. I don't see doubled letters on the smaller image. ...Then again, my vision still fluctuates wildly sometimes as well. :crybaby2:

I see "something" to the left of the neck, but my extreme lack of knowledge in this area keeps me from knowing just what.

What u see to the left is what i am referring to it looks like a outline up to the beak almost shadow like .

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
IMHO, the doubling around the Eagle's wing to it's beak on the Reverse is likely Die Deterioration Doubling and the double rim on the Obverse is due it being struck partially outside of the Collar.

Frank

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was struck partially outside the collar Frank it would show on both sides. It's a misaligned die.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If it was struck partially outside the collar Frank it would show on both sides. It's a misaligned die.

You could be right but there appears to be evidence of a slight railroad rim on the Reverse unless I am seeing things! All things being perfect, one would usually surmise that such errors are Misaligned Die Errors which as stated may be the case with this coin. However, with Die misalignment...Collar misalignment or both at the same time, some errors are much harder to assess. I believe that some pics of the edge of the coin where the reeding is, might solve the mystery!

Frank

Quarter Error.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread