4th of July coin hall: Yuan Shikai Silver dollars & various other coins.

ThinIce

Dec 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During my 4th of July, I went to an antique fair with my girlfriend look around and perhaps find some cool things. I approached an older man, a nice and honest dealer, who had some coins on the table of which he no information on. There were 9 coins in total, silver colored and worn, priced at 5 a piece. I asked him about whether he knew what these coins were, and he had no idea. He offered me a bargain of 2 dollars for each coin to avoid the potential of selling worthless or fake coins for inflated prices.

I Googled 'Chinese Coin with dragon' and found some information on them. Initially I thought all these coins were silver, but later research online indicated that only the top 2 are 89% silver while the rest are silver plated with copper and nickel.

fog6mb.jpg

These are the Yuan Shikai silver dollars. They are 89% silver, are about an inch and a half in diameter (or 36 mm). I don't know much about Chinese coins in general, much less the identification and pricing on these. Perhaps some of you guys here can give me more information on these coins

Coin Value: China 10, 20, and 50 Cents (Chiao) and Dollar (Yuan) 'Fat Man' 1914 to 1921

This website talks about the weight, diameter, and composition of the coins. Based on the diameter, the coins are either D or E on the website list.

9fp4bk.jpg

These are the other coins which have a dragon and some Chinese characters on the obverse (as shown in the top right corner; picture uploaded upside down). On the front of these coins, they show various Chinese Emperors and a time span, perhaps their time of rule. I don't know the names of these Emperors so I just punch in the year along with 'Chinese Coin' and usually get a couple results. These are silver plated.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread