Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guy's
I just got my hands on this coin.
P6153462.JPG

Now I know not to clean scarce coins, and I have seen many with Verdigris damage.
But it is usually green, this coin has red verdi, and it's a very thin layer. Some angles you can't even see it.

Is there anything that can be done for this coin, or am I better off just leaving it as it is?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
British one penny? Date? What's the other side look like?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
That is iron oxide. Formed due to the coin being in contact with something containing iron. Probably in a relatively dry environment for several years, if not decades.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Acetone is the best way to clean. Anything still on the coin should be left. BTW, congrats on the coin. And the ring in the background!

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's a 1875H penny

Not huge value, maybe $30 - $40 aus,

P6153461.JPG

thanks for all the replies.

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acetone is the best way to clean. Anything still on the coin should be left. BTW, congrats on the coin. And the ring in the background!

Thanks mate, The coin I got from Ebay, the seller didn't notice the mint mark. not huge value, maybe $30 Aus dollars, but not bad for only a couple $.

The ring I did find metal detecting, so far it's my only gold ring found. It's an old 9ct 375 ring with four little diamonds.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought they were all "H's" that year. They did have large and small dates though. You may want to check to see what yours is. Some varieties are worth quite a bit.

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought they were all "H's" that year. They did have large and small dates though. You may want to check to see what yours is. Some varieties are worth quite a bit.

There are at least three varieties I know for that year. Wide date, narrow date, and the H (Heaton) mark. I have all three, two found detecting and the H, that I found on ebay.

I will add a pic shortly.

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P6173525.JPG

Heaton, Wide, and narrow.

PaddyB

Jul 18, 2016
Devon, England
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice find at a cheap price!

There are actually 4 main varieties for the 1875 penny, of which the 1875H is the scarcest. 2011 Spinks quotes GBP 40 in Fine (UK standard) and with the damage to the rim I think "Fine" is about as high as it could grade.

The other 3 are based on the Reverse design designated G, H and J. (Obverse is 8 on all 4 of this date.) H is the narrow date one, both G and J are wide date - the easiest way to distinguish is whether the sea line crosses the thin circle just inside the toothed border. If it does, it is a G and that is the scarcer, if it doesn't it is a J - the commonest. I think yours, in the middle of the three, is a J.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions