Possibly the Oldest Coins Ever Found In North America With a Metal Detector

WYO1

Oct 23, 2004
Heres a strange story for you. There is a place near my house in Wyoming called the 1838 rendezvous site. Way back when the Mountain men used to gather there every summer to party, sell their furs and replenish their supplies.
I modern times people still go there and do reenactments and play mountain man. There is usually quite a crowd camped there so I decided to go do some detecting after it was over.
I hadn't found much besides some clad, when I went over to an area that they do their hatchet throw contest.
I got a signal that was kind of unusual and after digging I found what at first I thought was a nail head. I almost tossed it aside but then took a closer look. It turned out to be one of the coins below. I rechecked the hole and got another signal and out popped the other coin.
Actually digging is not an accurate term because these coins were less than an inch down.
I have seen pictures of coins like these and the are probably a couple thousand years old. So how did they end up in Wyoming? Well I found out that there was a Guy running a booth that was selling mountain man stuff and he also happened to be selling old coins. He must have sold these to someone who in turn lost them again in a differant continent two thousand years later.
I put my best Barber dime in there for size comparison. Hope you enjoy.

coins002.jpg

coins005.jpg

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it amazing what turns up in unexpected places. Attached is a picture of a Parthian coin from 120 - 80 BC. I found it on a beach about 12 miles east of Portland Oregon.

Attachments

• parthia.JPG
    parthia.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 12,425
OP
OP
WYO1

WYO1

Oct 23, 2004
Thats a nice coin Waseeker. How did you go about dating it?

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
All three coins are nice. I read a post where a guy from St Louis found a roman coin in a Park there. Can't remember the date but it was OLD! I believe there are quite a few of those across the land. Congrats to both on those old coins!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been roman around looking for coins like that good post ::) AA

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WYO1 said:
Thats a nice coin Waseeker. How did you go about dating it?

I went to a local coin show. A couple of the ancient dealers told me they thought it was parthian. From there I went to the internet for research. I found a web site www.parthia.com and thanks to a gentleman named Edward C. D. Hopkins, the coin was identified. Examples can be seen at http://parthia.com/mithradates2.htm

OP
OP
WYO1

WYO1

Oct 23, 2004
Thanks for the info. I have been checking the pictures on Ebay. There are thousands of differant coins. :P

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
if you contact "gunner" here in t net, he may be able to help identify

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread