What to do if you find a previously undiscovered doubled die?

Tanman2001

Greenie
Apr 9, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was wondering what am I supposed to do if I find a doubled die variety not listed in CONECA, Wexler, etc. While roll hunting I found a 2015 penny doubled die and could not find a similar one in either CONECA or Wexler. I'll put in photos if you're curious about that penny. What should I do with this coin???
S20160730_0001.jpg S20160730_0002.jpg S20160730_0003.jpg S20160730_0004.jpg S20160730_0005.jpg

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I am not sure ok. I believe what you have is called a Die Shift variety. I've seen a lot of those. The one thing I did notice here is that there is a blob of metal located on the left side of the base of the first T in the word STATES. I am not sure what has caused that. Wait for the coin guys here. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a happy dance of course. Could be strike doubling, can't tell. If the edges of the doubling is FLAT, that's strike doubling. The 2015-P's had a lot of double dies, however. I have found a few.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send to Wexler. I believe his submission fee is listed on the site. If it's new he will assign a number and list it. Then he will send it back with a first discovery letter. You can send that to a grading company and they will designate it on the slab as a discovery piece. I personally don't know what the others are seeing. This is definitely a doubled die.

OP
OP
T

Tanman2001

Greenie
Apr 9, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The glare in those photos made it look like mechanical doubling so here's a better photo:
S20160730_0006.jpg

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Seeing the second picture I can't agree with it being a true Double Die. Rather I believe it was caused by Die Shifting where the Die actually moves a bit due to the Die being loose to give it that effect. BUUUUTTT Then again I am no expert on Errors ok. It's just that I have seen many of the same details before on Die Shifted coins. I wish you good luck. PEACE:RONB

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
In the very first pic of the thread, the "2" in 2015 looked promising. However, I have seen similar before and thought it might be reflection or glare. The last pic you provided is better. I don't know how to explain it, as I'm brand new to this as well. However, I see LOTS of coins that appear to have a bit of an impression or distortion close to numbers and/or letters. From what I can tell, it's just part of the process. ...But then, I've been known to be wrong once or twice.....PER HOUR! :tongue3:

OP
OP
T

Tanman2001

Greenie
Apr 9, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the very first pic of the thread, the "2" in 2015 looked promising. However, I have seen similar before and thought it might be reflection or glare. The last pic you provided is better. I don't know how to explain it, as I'm brand new to this as well. However, I see LOTS of coins that appear to have a bit of an impression or distortion close to numbers and/or letters. From what I can tell, it's just part of the process. ...But then, I've been known to be wrong once or twice.....PER HOUR! :tongue3:

Sorry I took so long to reply, I was on vacation recently. The arrows I put in the photo aren't meant to point towards the impression next to the numbers, but the notching in the numbers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread