Need help!

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just offered a deal that I dont know whether it would be a good investment! I showed some interest in a whitman (i think?) coin album full of nickels 1938-1997 that was completely full (including 1938d and s) and the nice gentleman told me I could have it for $70.

Need some opinions!! Gonna stop by tomorrow and hope its still there!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too much if you ask me...$50 at the most.
Even that might be too much...now if ALL the coins are in mint condition, especially the 30's, silvers, and 50-D, then, yea, I would maybe do it.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I agree with BigWaveDave. That is a $40 Collection at most unless they are in MINT STATE ok. I'll bet anything those are not.I don't even have to see them to know that ok. Try to talk him down. If he says No then walk away. Don't get taken. No matter how NICE he is ok. This is the truth. Good Luck. We'll help you get hooked up at the right prices ok. PEACE:RONB

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with the others, unless they are in real good condition, that seems high! Don't rush into it! There will be others! It's more fun to build your own in my opinion so that you can be selective on what coins you put in it. Or if you like the guy your dealing with and it's something you want? Go for it! :laughing7: I've over paid on a lot of coins because I liked the seller, it's like a donation thing. I'd rather think of it that way than that I'm over paying!:laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned, we'd need to know the grade of each coin......especially the key dates. Average circulated.....$70 is too much. Some nice grades, uncirculated, and proof coins in the batch......maybe a bargain.

OP
OP
NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1938 d looked very nice, as did the silver ones. Also included all the proofs.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Even so. If the other nickels are not in MINT STATE then they are only worth a nickel. The Proofs were most likely taken out of Proof sets. This means that the Proof Condition has been compromised in a bad way. With the Proofs I would not go over $50. Talk to the guys here in the Coins Forum and they will hook you up with a good set ok. Once Proof Coins are taken out of the cases and placed in those folders they are considered bad coins and do lose value ok. Proof coins are kept in a case for good reason. Proof coins are to stay with Proof coins in their cases. Mint coins are to stay with Mint Coins. Mixing Proofs with avg Grade coins is a shunned practice ok. Don't get taken. You "may" have $50 in the proofs and Silvers but that's it ok. In Our opinion that set is NOT a good buy. We are giving you Solid advice. The choice is yours ok. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, "very nice" isn't a grade. Like the others said, those coins have to be like they just came out of a new roll. If there's any wear, pass.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing I just thought of...If these are the blue folder, where the coins are pushed in? Make sure you pop any out with the mint marks on the back and double check them especially key dates. This has happened to me a few times in a rush, trusting the seller, and not looking. They just stick a date in the slot. These older folders seem to corrode coins too, or maybe what I ran into a few times weren't stored properly. :dontknow:

Either way! It's all in fun!!

OP
OP
NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for the condition/terminology mixup Enamel! By "very nice," I was shooting for "around XF-45." Barker, yes ultimately the choice is mine, but I seeked the guidance of those who probably have more experience in the numismatic industry (such as yourself most likely :) also to learn for future buying opportunities. Nitric- the coins were in a two sided album where both sides of the coin were clearly visible

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread