1901 v nickel

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is badly corroded . I can barley read the 1901 . I know cleaning it will ruin it but what good is a coin you can not even see ? Would you send it in to be cleaned ? The coin is not rotten but I do not know if it can be cleaned .Has anyone had one cleaned and if so was it worth it ?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
No, do not send the coin off to have it cleaned! The coin has some but not much value above face and is more valuable to you as your' find. I would suggest heating 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide in a microwave safe bowl or coffee cup, then drop the coin in and watch the heated Hydrogen Peroxide go to work. You might have to do this several times to have decent results and it is doubtful that the coin will ever come out any better than Good to Very Good condition. Once done, if there is any encrustation left on the coin, you could soak it in Mineral Oil for a week or two, then toothpick some or most of the encrustation off the coin.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Than you frank .

OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is going to take some time so I went back out and found me a 1903 I could read . image.jpeg image.jpeg

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wet brillo under the tap works nicely on nics____be gentle, a few seconds then rinse & repeat until you are OK with the result. lemon juice will eat the coin, peroxide will darken & may not remove the iron corrosion. try this on a dug wheat, no date Buff, and even a crusty IH---trust me ---brillo kicks butt on dug coins---NEVER use it on silver

OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just dug anther one . 1900 this time . I wish they were in better shape . Brillo pad worries me a bit . The peroxide is not doing much . I found a wheat with with the 1900 v nickel I can not read the date on it either .

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is a '20 dug Buff before and after a 10 sec. LIGHT rub IMG_3579.JPG IMG_3581.JPG IMG_3580.JPG IMG_3582.JPG
Just dug anther one . 1900 this time . I wish they were in better shape . Brillo pad worries me a bit . The peroxide is not doing much . I found a wheat with with the 1900 v nickel I can not read the date on it either .

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no such thing as a "light rub" with a brillo pad!

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like the V nickles you found. Just got my first today, a 1908 with condition problems. Thank you for the deep discussions concerning cleaning. I will follow with care. Best.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It the coin is just a common date and you want to clean them...A fine brass brush and water works on nickel too...Just so whatever brush you are using is softer than the nickel..Sometimes it will leave a yellow type tint,.....Not the best option! But does work on nickels that are so corroded that don't have much value...

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, going along with some of the other misinforming people on here giving advice, just soak it in acid and hit it with a welder. I hear it works great! If you can't give good advice I suggest no advise at all. Even the rare coins were once face value. Who's to say what it will be worth in 20 years?

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1963, the retail value of a 1901 V Nickel in good condition was $.15. In 2016, the retail value of that same coin in the same condition is $2. That is an increase of approximately 1333%. If history is correct, in another 53 years (2069), a 1901 V Nickel in good condition will have a retail value of approximately $26.67.

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use "bar keepers friend" I think it is called. I clean a lot of my coins.. Just cleaned 2 v's that looked like yours.just pore some in a bowl, place coin in bowl. Let sit for say 10 mins... Take out and rub with thumb and repeat until shinny. I never plan on selling any of f my finds (so far). I like them clean when on display.. Try this method it works well on pennies also... Just NO silver.... KIMG0038.jpg I should have done a before and after.. It was every bit as bad as yours or worse. Very bad ground where I found it.. Nothing I can do about the pitting.. Some of the scale came of with my fingernail as I as cleaning it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread