Possible new Double Die Reverse Variety on 2013-P Great Basin Nevada Quarter!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Folks,

Be on the lookout for a possible new Double Die Reverse Variety on the 2013-P Great Basin Nevada Quarters! I found one that has doubling North through Southeast on "GREAT BASIN" and "E PLURIBUS UNUM" and it it appears to be Class II Distorted Hub Doubling. If this is a true Double Die Reverse Variety, then it is the result of distortion in either the Die or the Hub between pressings of the image into a Working Die. I can find no doubling elsewhere on the Reverse like what is seen on the WDDR-001, WDDR-002 and WDDR-003 Varieties. What is odd is that the doubling is only on the outer devices of the coin on "GREAT BASIN" and "E PLURIBUS UNUM" and not on (the Date) "2013" and on "NEVADA" which indicates that the these latter areas on the Die or Hub came back to normal after a hubbing and the annealing process (in between pressings) but the former areas did not. I took some pics inside of the Reverse of the coin to post on here but they are of no use in showing the doubling on the coin. I will try to take some more pics outside in the natural light and if they come out showing the doubling, I will post them. I must admit that is hard to determine if it is actual Class II Doubled Die Doubling on the coin or Machine Doubling since these devices are incuse which makes it harder to see any possible Split Serifs but I believe I can see very slight Split Serifs on some of the letters.

On another note: I keep and collect 1983-P Lincoln Memorial Cents to check for the elusive Doubled Die Reverse Variety DDR-001 and/or evidence of a Die that had the Doubling but was repaired to remove any evidence of it. This is normally found as excessively ground areas and devices on the coin and it is my hopes to find one that has this but also one that has some of the Doubling still left on it that was not ground away. In doing so, I found a 1983-P Lincoln Memorial Cent which has a slightly weak strike and due to excessive grinding and polishing, it is missing almost all of the (FG) Designer's Initials. I am not sure that this will be considered a major error or not but I am keeping it!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
[SIZE=4]**** Updated with pics ****[/SIZE]

As promised, here are the pics!

2013-P Great Basin Nevada Quarter possible DDR Variety

2013GreatBasinNevadaDDR 004a.jpg 2013GreatBasinNevadaDDR 002b.jpg 2013GreatBasinNevadaDDO1 003a.jpg

1983-P Lincoln Cent "Missing most of Designer's Initials" Error Reverse

1983LincolnCentMissingFG 001a.jpg 1983LincolnCentMissingFG 003a.jpg 1983LincolnCentMissingFG 003b.jpg

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen the FG nearly missing on so many cents that I stopped looking. If it's not there, great. Otherwise (for me, anyhow), it's there. I even threw one back in the mix that had the bottom of the F and all the G, but was missing the top of F. Extremely little wear to the coin. Looked to me more like grease strike.

Haven't seen that issue with the quarter yet, but will keep an eye open. Have a box of quarters I started going through. Thanks for the heads-up.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; The doubling is greatest on the letters T in Great, The BAS in Basin, the PLU in Pluribus & the UM in Unum ok. It appears the the Die struck towards the Right in Great Basin and to the Left on the UNUM on the Reverse. Great find. Send it in. If it is a DD then you may have a true Mule on your hands. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi; The doubling is greatest on the letters T in Great, The BAS in Basin, the PLU in Pluribus & the UM in Unum ok. It appears the the Die struck towards the Right in Great Basin and to the Left on the UNUM on the Reverse. Great find. Send it in. If it is a DD then you may have a true Mule on your hands. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Thanks Barker! I may send it into Coneca for attribution and see what they say. I could send it to Mike Diamond but I am not sure he is associated with Coneca anymore! I realized that I should have reversed the image for "E PLURIBUS UNUM", so I have included a reversed pic below.

Frank

2013GreatBasinNevadaDDO1 003b.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I see none for sale and very little info on the web of this error. Good discovery Frank. I only look at wheat's in my change anymore these days. Long gone are the days of collecting $2.50 ever Tuesday evening from every customer on my paper route in 1968. Last good score I had was in 1979 at a 7-11 spare penny dish I find a 1922 No Mint Lincoln. I sold it + some trades in 1987 to a dealer in Fremont Cali. I'm kind of over collecting and buying coins these days, as the fun of the hunt for those in circulation doesn't exist anymore. Unless you find it lost in the ground and that can be a eureka moment.

The 2013 Great Basin National Park quarter dollar reverse shows a bristlecone pine tree. A 2013-P example from Bill Bonina shows doubling on the underside of the leaves (needles) north of the bottom right branch of the tree. This one is a first for my files and is now listed as 2013-P 25¢ NV WDDR-001.

Collectors discover quarter dollar doubled dies

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks tamrock! I have found quite a few 1922-Weak "D" Lincoln Cents but never a 1922-No "D". I did find a 1955-P "Doubled Die #1" Lincoln Cent in 1973 that my nephew stole when he took mine' and my mom's coins from her house in 1974. Also I have found several 1972-P Lincoln Cent '"Doubled Die Varieties but they weren't the DDO #1 and numerous other DDO and DDR Varieties as well as thousands of Error Coins. I use to love searching through one to two thousand coins every night but now that the Fiberglass fibers have penetrated deep into my' right (dominant) eyeball, I can no longer search for long periods as I will get migraines in my' eye which if not gotten under control quick, causes me "Harvey Wallbanger" headaches/migraines. I call them that because Harvey could bang his' head up against a wall and it would not hurt any worse!:BangHead:

Thanks for the link to the Coin World article! I checked it out when I was searching the web in trying to find if my' 2013-P Great Basin Nevada Quarter Doubled Die Reverse had been recorded already.

Frank

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there a list somewhere of what error coins have been found so far?

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Frank; I still see the same thing there with one added. Look at the UM in UNUM and it is very pronounced there as well ok. We await the Coneca results. PEACE:RONB

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goodness, I need glasses!

aj

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there a list somewhere of what error coins have been found so far?

kcm,

Since Errors have occurred on nearly every series and denomination of U.S. Coinage for most of the years that they were made and also for coinage from other countries, a list of what Error Coins have been found is totally unfeasible and unfathomable. It is only feasible to list what types of Errors are known but it seems that a few more pop up every few years. I have included quite a few links below that detail and list known Errors as well as links for information on Error Coins.

Frank

Error Coin Price Guide with Mint Error Photo Descriptions | Coin News

minterrornews.com - Bringing the latest mint error news to the collector. - Error Coin News, Features, Discoveries & Price Guide

Error Coin Examples : Jim's Coins and Stamps

US Mint Error Coin Images Mint Error Coin Values Facts | CoinHELP!

Mint Errors

Error coins & types of mint errors | Error coin collecting

Mike Diamond

Error-Ref.com ?

https://sullivannumismatics.com/website-links

US Error Coins - Collector Information | Collectors Weekly

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Frank; I still see the same thing there with one added. Look at the UM in UNUM and it is very pronounced there as well ok. We await the Coneca results. PEACE:RONB

Thanks BARKER! I am still going over in my' head of how the doubling showed up on "GREAT BASIN" and "E PLURIBUS UNUM" but there is no evidence of doubling elsewhere on the coin. It's as if the Hub doing the pressing, bulged outward in these areas due to the annealing process and did not return to it's original form. Also, I am still up in the air as to whether the doubling on the coin is Class II "Distorted Hub Doubling" or Class VI "Distended Hub Doubling"! It is somewhat confusing because both of these are so similar but I am leaning towards my' find having Class VI "Distended Hub Doubling". What makes it hard to determine, is that the Letters that are doubled are incuse making separation of the doubling not really identifiable but yet the coin shows evidence of Split Serifs which I am not sure as to whether these occur on Class VI Double Dies.

I will try to get this coin sent off to Coneca as soon as possible! At the same time, I want to issue a Warning to all those that search coins and make a find of a discovery coin. In my many years of searching coins for Doubled Dies and Errors, I have made at least 4 discoveries and quite a few more possible discoveries of Doubled Die Variety coins but did not send them in as I wanted to consult with some Experts first. This was a mistake, I hope that none of you do the same and hope that you send the coin or coins off right away to find out if they are true Doubled Dies and get credit for the find/finds if in fact they are. Being naive and somewhat new to the field, I showed my' discoveries to one Expert in the field of Doubled Die Varieties and Error Coins at a Coin Show only to have them brushed off as being nothing and then have the credit for my' discoveries stolen right out from under me. This Expert who I thought I could trust not only lied to me saying that my' discoveries were not Doubled Dies but this person then rushed around the same Coin Show and possibly other Coin Shows searching every Coin Dealer's inventories until they found the same coins of the same denominations, dates and mint marks with the same doubling, then submitted their' coins to the powers that record these and got credit for the discoveries. Don't let this happen to you, please!

Frank

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank, thanks for the links!! :notworthy:

Is sad you had to run into such a lousy person at the coin show - but something tells me he/she wasn't the only not-so-nice person you've met in your life!

Personally, I've never cared less about who gets "credit" for something. Many is the time I've done work helping someone else, then they end up taking credit. No biggie to me. ....Then again, I'm warped!! :laughing7: But yes, for anyone wishing to make a new discovery (coin or otherwise), you absolutely MUST be discreet in who you talk to and follow a safe path to discovery...without dragging your feet as well.

I tried to open a business one time. Drew up my business plan, had experience, other family members in the same general business, etc. Took business plan to a potential investor (investing is what they do). They "said" they weren't interested. Less About 6 weeks later, some company broke ground on a slightly cheaper parcel of land just down the road with nearly the identical setup I had outlined. Yes, "could" have been coincidence, but I surely doubt it!

My Dad had contacted one of these invention places about getting a patent - something to do with safety on cars; I think with windshield wipers maybe?? Anyway, he never heard from them again. The following year, GM starts using his idea exactly as he had outlined. He could have pursued that, but it wasn't anything that would have been a huge money-maker. Plus, he had other more pressing things to worry about in life.

Trust is such a fragile thing. Most of my life, I was very trustworthy - but not in the sense that I "should" have been. ...I just didn't talk to other folks! :tongue3: Now that I fully understand what is entailed in the words "absolute trust", it's disheartening to see just how little such trust is in the world today. Seems like the people that need such trust the most are the ones that get turned on first. ...Maybe they make for easy targets?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank, thanks for the links!! :notworthy:

Is sad you had to run into such a lousy person at the coin show - but something tells me he/she wasn't the only not-so-nice person you've met in your life!

Personally, I've never cared less about who gets "credit" for something. Many is the time I've done work helping someone else, then they end up taking credit. No biggie to me. ....Then again, I'm warped!! :laughing7: But yes, for anyone wishing to make a new discovery (coin or otherwise), you absolutely MUST be discreet in who you talk to and follow a safe path to discovery...without dragging your feet as well.

I tried to open a business one time. Drew up my business plan, had experience, other family members in the same general business, etc. Took business plan to a potential investor (investing is what they do). They "said" they weren't interested. Less About 6 weeks later, some company broke ground on a slightly cheaper parcel of land just down the road with nearly the identical setup I had outlined. Yes, "could" have been coincidence, but I surely doubt it!

My Dad had contacted one of these invention places about getting a patent - something to do with safety on cars; I think with windshield wipers maybe?? Anyway, he never heard from them again. The following year, GM starts using his idea exactly as he had outlined. He could have pursued that, but it wasn't anything that would have been a huge money-maker. Plus, he had other more pressing things to worry about in life.

Trust is such a fragile thing. Most of my life, I was very trustworthy - but not in the sense that I "should" have been. ...I just didn't talk to other folks! :tongue3: Now that I fully understand what is entailed in the words "absolute trust", it's disheartening to see just how little such trust is in the world today. Seems like the people that need such trust the most are the ones that get turned on first. ...Maybe they make for easy targets?

I agree with both of you guys...In anything, when you figure something out, I don't care what it is. We like to talk(or at least I did:laughing7:) Because your proud that you found or figured it out...There is no Loyalty with a lot of people, they will just take the info and run.

I've learned this too! A few times!! If it comes to possible money or recognition, watch your back!:laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have much interest in fortune, and even less in fame. Actually, would rather not have people making a fuss over me. ...It "would" be nice to have enough money to live comfortably (NOT lavishly!!), but to me, money is a necessary evil. When I was young, I watched my dad go from a strong, healthy man into a tired, weak, sickly-looking shell in just a few months. He had opened his own machine shop at home (rather than driving 3 hours each way to work!). Nobody doubted his skills as a machinist, but they also did not tell him that he would have to start at the bottom, getting the jobs that nobody else wanted. So, he worked his butt off (literally!!) to provide for us. ...So yes, I have a dim view on money. Just like when I'm going through coins now and my fingers just turn black....money IS dirty - in more ways than one.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You know, I never really wanted any fame or a lot of money for doing what I love to do and that is search for Varieties and Errors on coins. I did however, want recognition from the Coin Dealers and Experts that buy, sell, trade, search and research these types of coins because until you have that from them, they will hardly give you the time of day! They have their' own little closed clique of members only which actually means that you have to be accepted by the other members before they will pay you any mind. For me, what started out as a hobby for me became a way to make extra money to support my' family and still do what I love to do.

Frank

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I can certainly understand that! After Dad died, I was put in charge of their finances, as Mom is in a nursing home with advanced Alzheimer's. Problem is, nobody will hire someone like me - with chronic pain from neck injury. ...Too much of a liability. So have been "hoping" I could augment the finances a little by looking for errors. So far, have spent more money than it appears I'm likely to make. Now have a USB camera, magnifying glass, set of scales, internet (which we didn't have before, yet connection isn't reliable enough to start selling on eBay), and the cost of buying the coins - of which there is always items of little-to-no value. Canadian coins, and even a flat washer in this last box of nickels. I mean, really! How did a flat washer get past a sorting machine?!?!?

Have had an opportunity waiting, but have to finish up with their house first, and have no idea when that will be. Their heat pump went out about the same time Dad passed, and now birds have pecked their way into the eave of the house around the chimney. Oh, and the solid-rock chimney is slowly sinking into the ground because it was not properly supported when built. And because of that, no contractor will touch it! Am about ready to just auction the dang thing off and be done with it! Problem is, we still have one last load of "stuff" to haul back. Nothing valuable, but there is sentimental stuff there. Also, gotta bring back Dad's table saw and use electrolysis on it to get all the rust off. ...All of this is difficult for a couple of gimps to do from 1,100+ miles away.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
kcm,

I am sorry to hear about all of the problems, especially about your mom...your dad passing and the problems with their' home! I think you can stop the sinking of the chimney if you have the time, 3 or 4 heavy duty floor jacks some 4x4 lumber, you can mix up concrete, there are a places to anchor onto the chimney to support it or lift it and the structual integrity of the chimney is not compromised. Place a floor jack on each side of the chimney on a big enough 3/4 inch plywood platform for support and block the jacks so they will not move. Do the same in the front or outside of the chimney with 1 or 2 jacks. This will have to be a little ways away from the chimney, especially on the front to allow you to dig underneath the chimney. Once a place to anchor the 4x4's to the chimney has been found or made and they are anchored and the jacks positioned to lift on the opposite end of the 4x4's, then with 3 or 4 people working together, you should be able to lift or at least support the chimney until the repairs are made. With the chimney supported by the 4x4's and jacks, dig a hole underneath and out 6 inches if possible. Make a compact grid (probably rectangle shaped) out of rebar and wrap in chicken coop wire. Hopefully this can be done outside on the ground, then slid underneath the chimney. Put a couple of inches or gravel underneath the chimney, slide in the rebar and chicken coop wire grid, then pour the concrete all the way to the base of the chimney and let it set for at least 4 days. Once the concrete is firmly set, then lower the jacks, take out the 4x4's and recover around the base of the chimney and hopefully you will no longer have problems out of it.

Good luck!

Frank

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, have everything I need to do the work. Just that it's hard to actually do it from way up here. :tongue3:

I wanted to tear the fireplace off completely and wall it in, then install a freestanding wood stove. But, plans fell through due to an auto accident.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, have everything I need to do the work. Just that it's hard to actually do it from way up here. :tongue3:

I wanted to tear the fireplace off completely and wall it in, then install a freestanding wood stove. But, plans fell through due to an auto accident.

It would be a much easier and cheaper fix, to just tear it down and install Triple Wall Flue Pipe and use a wood, propane or natural gas stove. Fireplaces are just for aesthetic purposes anyways as they are not of much use to heat a home, especially a fairly large home. All they do, is suck the heat out of the home which then escapes up the flue. Since you and wife were in the accident, a Construction company's crew should be able to remove the chimney and fireplace, wall it up and install the Triple Wall Flue. If they can't, then they should not be in the construction business.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread