1983 penny that is silver looking

Anely

Aug 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody know why this penny isn't copper colored and how much it might be worth. A guy spent it at my job today so I put a penny in my till and took this one lol. 1470721004659-2055754495.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the 2nd such cent I've heard about lately. Both were 1983's. My guess is someone removed the copper coating on 1983's thinking they could fool someone into believing it was a Mint mistake during the changeover from copper cents to zinc.

Sorry, this is not an error. Would be considered damage.

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
It has been dipped in Mercury and that's all . I did this as a kid ... find a termostat with a Mercury tip switch and remove the Mercury . Then add a cent and role it in the Mercury and abracadabra it's silver colored ... and it just sticks until wear and tear removes it ... Woodstock

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look like mercury. Appears to have been plated.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Zinc plating will produce this color, among others. Junior High chemistry 45 years ago. Just do an Internet search on how to turn a penny silver, or better yet, take the process one step further and turn it gold in color. Just chemistry that has been known since at least ancient Egypt.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions