Loads of Silver and LAM Bonus

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday, I went to the ANA show in ANAheim. I was looking to load up on some silver. Current spot is 14.5 Times face, and I found some for 14.8 times. A shade over 2%. Great price.

Once we counted out my purchase, I noticed this coin in the stack and asked him to throw it in. Pretty severe Lamination Error.

Lamination.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that 1963 Franklin has more Lamination splits and separations that any Franklin Half that I have ever seen! It is hard to tell but there appears more problems showing than just mere Lamination and De-Lamination problems. Would love to see that coin in person under a loupe!

Frank

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Question to the experts on lamination? Is the above coin only a single coin event, or was there a whole run from this planchette group that would have the same lam error. Similar to an entire sheet of dollar bills being printed wrong, not just one bill. Nasty looking coin find, an error for sure.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Question to the experts on lamination? Is the above coin only a single coin event, or was there a whole run from this planchette group that would have the same lam error. Similar to an entire sheet of dollar bills being printed wrong, not just one bill. Nasty looking coin find, an error for sure.

More than likely there are more coins that will exhibit similar, less or more lamination problems than this single coin! These types of errors are mainly due to improperly mixed planchet composition, air bubbles trapped inside the composition or both and contaminants are also possible within the composition. Some planchets develop lamination/de-Lamination before striking, during striking and others after striking. It is somewhat dependent upon the processes the planchets go through before striking, the pressures exhibited upon the planchet during striking and what the planchet or coin goes through after it leaves the Mint (i.e. stored in too hot of an environment, improper storage when being shipping or moved to many locations and even the environment itself in respect to contaminants where the coin has been). The funny things is, that in a single run of coins being minted where the planchet stock has issues, there may be many planchets that enter the Striking Chamber with lamination issues but at the same time, some will not and those that don't have issues before striking, will likely develop lamination issues during striking or some time down the road after striking.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread