Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3618.JPG IMG_3619.JPG a 197? cent that shows virtually no details. the rim is normal so a "dryer" appears to be ruled out. the reverse has a deep depression thru the center. a '69-D Jeff with a weak MM, a '92-P Jeff "greaser", the best I can do with photos of the '70 double date, and now for your lyin' eyes (meant in jest---you be the judge) a clad half with reeding UNDER the motto. note bottom of Y was struck into the depression and that the T, R. U and 7 are normal. this indicates the blank was imprinted with force by the reeding of another half before this coin was struck. like I say---use your eyes and mind to explain this one :dontknow::dontknow:. IMG_3617.JPG IMG_3626.JPG IMG_3627.JPG IMG_3629.JPG IMG_3620.JPG IMG_3628.JPG IMG_3621.JPG IMG_3630.JPG IMG_3631.JPG IMG_3625.JPG coin was found this week in a box of skunk halves

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no pic of the coin with no details. The 70 is md. The mint mark is in mint specs. The bottom of the y was flattened by a reeded coin hitting the coin "after" the coin was struck. See what you want, but there is nothing there.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The half looks interesting, the rest, not.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
enamel is correct about the Machine Doubling on the 1970 Cent but the Date was actually hit two more times after the coin was initially struck due to chatter from the hydraulic Minting Press. Due to the double flat shelving to the Northeast of the original striking, it makes it somewhat appear as Doubled Die Doubling.

The Mint Mark on 1969-D Jefferson is likely due to a slightly clogged Mint Mark on the Die.

I can't really quote on the 1992-P Jefferson as there is still a lot of debate as to the cause which is seen on a lot of Clad coins since about 1990. However, I think some of the Cladding is getting stuck to the Dies during the striking process and is being peeled or pulled off the struck coins.

The Reeding across the Obverse of the 2007-D Kennedy Half is a Man Made Error. Note how the reeding impression is stronger on the outside edges but weak to nonexistent towards the center of the reeding impression. This was due to the person tilting another Kennedy Half Dollar from side to side as they pressed the coin into and rolled it across the Obverse of the 2007-D Half Dollar. It took a lot of skill to roll the inflicting coin and it's reeding across the 2007-D Half Dollar and make the coin look as if it had been Struck Thru Reeding. Now ahead of time, I will state that I could be wrong about this coin but if Struck Thru Reeding, the Reeding impression would be consistent across the entire track across the Obverse of the coin and not strong on the edges and weak to nonexistent towards the center!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will state what should be obvious--when you click on the photos , 2 more clicks will bring it to full screen. Frank, how did the skilled person get the reeding UNDER the TRU and 7. no way, no how the reeding is on top of those letters. the coin has been held with 3 dimensions visible under 40X magnification by my LCS with 30 years in business and we both agree along with 3 customers with vast coin experience and ALL AGREE the reeding is without a doubt under the motto. how this occurred is certainly open to debate.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I will state what should be obvious--when you click on the photos , 2 more clicks will bring it to full screen. Frank, how did the skilled person get the reeding UNDER the TRU and 7. no way, no how the reeding is on top of those letters. the coin has been held with 3 dimensions visible under 40X magnification by my LCS with 30 years in business and we both agree along with 3 customers with vast coin experience and ALL AGREE the reeding is without a doubt under the motto. how this occurred is certainly open to debate.

Like I said, I could be wrong but that is my honest opinion! Send the coin to Mike Diamond by contacting Mike at [email protected] and get his expert assessment of the coin. I will say this, I have seen coins that were "Struck Thru Edge Reeding" as this area of a coin is the easiest to separate from a coin's planchet but with the subject coin, you are talking about an entire section of Reeding that might have separated from another coin, fell onto the subject coin before it was struck, struck into the Obverse of the coin, then fell away after the striking. I am not saying that it is totally impossible for this to happen but it is highly improbable. There are a lot of skilled folks out there that fake Errors and otherwise alter coins for their own gain. I have seen many of them and I have been doing this for some 43 years.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sorry to chime in again on the 2007-D Kennedy Half Dollar that looks as if it is a Struck Thru Reeding Error but this tidbit has been bugging me about the Reeding and I believe it is relevant to the discussion! I also apologize for the lengthy post and hope it does not sound too confusing!

I have mulled this over in my' head many times, have pulled out several Kennedy Half Dollars I own (1964-P and newer ones) to check the Reeding on them and believe I have found a serious deficit in considering the Error to be genuine. If you note the size of the possible Struck Thru Reeding Error impression on the Obverse of the coin and compare that Reeding to the Reeding applied to this coin's planchet by the Mint before it was struck into a coin, they don't appear to match up size-wise between the valleys and ridges. It is hard to get a width comparison of the two but believe that the Reeding impression across the Obverse of the coin, is not as wide as the Reeding used on the 2007-D Kennedy Half Dollars. Now I am pretty sure that the Mints made at least one change (maybe more) to the size of the valleys and ridges of the Reeding on the Kennedy Half Dollars during the 52 years they have been minting them (i.e. from smaller widths to wider widths of the valleys and ridges). It is my belief that the change or the most significant change was made during the change-over from 90% Silver to Copper-Clad planchets but I could be wrong. Based on what I see or my perception of the Reeding impression and the Reeding on the edge of the coin being different, I now believe that the Reeding impression across the Obverse of the coin, may actually be a Reeding impression from a Washington Quarter (added) or from an earlier Date minted Kennedy Half Dollar but again, I could be wrong. If the Reeding impression in fact measures the same width-wise and the width or distance across the valleys and ridges are the same as on a Washington Quarter (added) or earlier Date minted Kennedy Half Dollar, then it is highly probable that the Reeding impression (possible Struck Thru Reeding Error) did not occur at the Denver Mint!

In closing, I will say this. I hope that the O.P., port ewen ace sends the coin to Mike Diamond for an Expert assessment and believe it or not, it is my hopes for the O.P. that I am totally wrong in my assessment! There are a few Error and Variety Coin Experts that I do not trust concerning assessments of Error/Variety Coins but even though it has been a long time since I have talked to the following Experts on the phone, I totally trust assessments by Mike Diamond as well as Mike Byers, Fred Weinberg, Ken Potter and James Wiles as well (although I can't remember if I have ever talked with Mr. Wiles) and especially Larry Briggs that helped mentor me about coins when I sat in with him at his' Coin Show tables.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you Frank for giving another clue to the mystery. I will email MD and also do some 20X mag. comparisons on ridge/valley dimensions. Rich

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
thank you Frank for giving another clue to the mystery. I will email MD and also do some 20X mag. comparisons on ridge/valley dimensions. Rich

Rich,

No thank you needed and I hope that I am wrong about my assessment of the possible error! It might help if you have a very accurate Micrometer for taking small measurements.

Frank

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the trusted opinion of MD is PMD from a half rolled with great force, and that raised elements are harder and resist being altered making the reeding appear to be under the motto. case closed with thanks to all opinions and the rapid response from MD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread