approx. Value of coins?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Is there a online or publication that will give me a approx. value for coins ? I know there are lots of grades and condition issues with coins to get a true value but Im looking for approx. value for me to get a range from face value to ??? for these coins. I know now that there are coins that are just face or scrape value and they are in the "spend" category , and the value for silver fluctuates all the time. BUT????????

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
If you're talking about silver coins that have no numismatic value, try the coinflation app or website. They give you the value of each denomination of silver coins with up to the minute prices based on the current price of silver.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Not exactly sure what you are asking, as the info provided is vague.

CoinFlation is good for determining scrap value of US silver coins.

Otherwise, use ebay "sold listings" for market value of coins.

You can also use NumisMedia for "book values" but keep in mind that is ONLY a guide and often prices can vary significantly.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You can always but last years edition of the coin RED BOOK, you can grade coins yourself & see approx values per grade, just for inside info to start with.

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Thanks Nitric for the PM reply and everyones reply here. Im just wanting to get a ball park idea of what I have here so I can precede into having somewhat of a idea of its worth before trying to sell it. Its all negotiable in the end when selling.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a smart phone you can download the pcgs price guide app. They also have an app called photograde which can help you determine what grade your coin is

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have a smart phone you can download the pcgs price guide app. They also have an app called photograde which can help you determine what grade your coin is

Not helpful to the OP. The prices only apply to retail situations for PCGS graded coins. Besides, everyone knows that the PCGS price guide is wildly inaccurate.

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
well today I finished up counting the coins in this collection......................35 years ago I had over $600.+ of coins and Ive added since then but not to any large account.... Well after I got done counting and adding it all up, I see that someone else has liked this collection also. its down by more than $400. Someone really liked my silver!! I feel sick right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its been locked away for 35 years .

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's sad! Where/how did you have them stored? Any idea who thought it was self-serv??

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Locked up in my garage and only I had the key. But it was probly "found" before that back when I had my son living with me and his "buddys" came over when I was working. Yep that was a sad thing!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
The key in determining coin values is to first decide if the coin HAS any value as a type, then if it has value over type. What is a common coin of that type in that grade worth. Is this worth more because of the date and mint mark?

If either of those is significant, than you have a coin worth doing more research on (for example, if you have a 1964 Washington quarter in very good condition, it is not worth much more than silver value, while a 1932s in the same grade will have significant extra value. In the same vein, an 1881 s morgan dollar has some value, while an 1887 s is worth significantly more and worth a closer look).

There once you know IF a coin has significant value over type or is of a valuable type, then you can decide to move forward (you do not want to spend time looking up the value of a bunch of 1950's lincoln pennies since none of them (save the double die) have significant value over type (sure, worth $.15 instead of $.05).

What you need to do is go through the coins with an eye toward eliminating from closer inspection and research those that do not have significant value. In this way, you can spend your time most efficiently. You can then move coins into categories such as spenders (no value, spend them), metal value (late date silver), Type coins, and rare coins.

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Well since someone has removed most of the silver coins I think Ill wait until the price of silver goes back up probly around election time OR? Is ebay worth a try to sell parts / sets of this collection or just go to a coin shop ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread