Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, I have another one! Pretty much the same thing as the other thread that I posted. :laughing7:

I always seem to run into stuff that there is no definite answer! I just read an article saying this is a regular strike. Another says unconfirmed...I have no clue!!

Again, I tried to pic while still in the flip..

If anyone knows anything or wants pics of it out of the flip I can do that if it would help! Thanks!!
1881 morgan 001.JPG 1881 morgan 002.JPG 1881 morgan 003.JPG 1881 morgan 004.JPG 1881 morgan 006.JPG 1881 morgan 008.JPG

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try to work on a better "O" picture in the daylight tomorrow... I'm horrible with this camera.:laughing7:Or maybe the flip. I'll redo it later.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the important thing about it is , you got it !

I don't have that many good coins left. Or what I half way consider good coins. So, I'm trying to figure some of the coins that I really don't know much about. That and trying to learn more about them. Some of the stuff I kept is worthless, and others I don't really know!:laughing7:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nitric,

While a VAM Number designation for an 1881-O/S Morgan Dollar probably existed at one time, the powers that be decided to change or delete it because they cannot be sure that an 1881-O/S actually exists and the debate continues. In any event, it was still noted by Breen as a B-5560. IMHO, your' coin is either an 1881-"O"/inverted "S" or a 1881-O with a Die Chip inside the "O". I state this due to the fact that the slanted bar of the "S", if that is what it is, is actually tilted the wrong way. In compass directions, the bar of a "S" on an "O/S" Morgan Dollar should be from Northwest to Southeast, not Northeast to Southwest. It is quite possible that a Variety exists with an inverted "S" Mint mark showing under the "O" Mint mark just as they exist in other denominations and series and if my memory serves me correctly, I found one many years ago and it was sold to Larry Briggs along with many other Morgan and Peace Dollar VAM's and other Variety and Error coins when I sold off my' main coin collection around 2007 or 2008. Several of the VAM's that I sold Larry back then, were new VAM discoveries.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric,

While a VAM for an 1881-O/S Morgan Dollar probably existed at one time, the powers that be decided to change or delete it because they cannot be sure that an 1881-O/S actually exists and the debate continues. In any event, it was still noted by Breen as a B-5560. IMHO, your' coin is either an 1881-"O"/inverted "S" or a 1881-O with a Die Chip inside the "O". I state this due to the fact that the slanted bar of the "S", if that is what it is, is actually tilted the wrong way. In compass directions, the bar of a "S" on an "O/S" Morgan Dollar should be from Northwest to Southeast, not Northeast to Southwest. It is quite possible that a Variety exists with an inverted "S" Mint mark showing under the "O" Mint mark just as they exist in other denominations and series and if my memory serves me correctly, I found one many years ago and it was sold to Larry Briggs along with many other Morgan and Peace Dollar VAM's and other Variety and Error coins when I sold off my' main coin collection around 2007 or 2008. Several of the VAM's that I sold Larry back then, were new VAM discoveries.

Frank

Thank you very much!! Again! I'll try to post better pics...Now that you mention it, I see what you are saying about the "s". I just went off of what I wrote on the flip years ago. I also found about a half roll of 1881 s. That are PL.(I'm guessing, frosty head with mirror like back ground) I had the whole roll at one time. I had no idea what I had.:laughing7: Luckily I still have at least half of them left.(I didn't actually count them). So, there's a chance I'll find something in there yet! I'll look them over good tomorrow.

Thanks again!! I get frustrated when I get stuck! :occasion14:

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you very much!! Again! I'll try to post better pics...Now that you mention it, I see what you are saying about the "s". I just went off of what I wrote on the flip years ago. I also found about a half roll of 1881 s. That are PL.(I'm guessing, frosty head with mirror like back ground) I had the whole roll at one time. I had no idea what I had.:laughing7: Luckily I still have at least half of them left.(I didn't actually count them). So, there's a chance I'll find something in there yet! I'll look them over good tomorrow.

Thanks again!! I get frustrated when I get stuck! :occasion14:

Hopefully the 1881-S Morgans are high grade PL's or DMPL's which would be even better and much more valuable! If they have very deep mirrored fields and frosted devices (images, letters and date), then they are likely DMPL. However, they have to be at least MS-62's as a minimum grade but most dealers and experts require them to be at least MS-64 or MS-65. If your' coins have deep mirrored fields that are fogged over which is typical with these and Proof coins as well, shoot me a PM and I will advise how to fix them.

Frank

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the important thing about it is , you got it !

I didn't understand what you meant when I read your post yesterday. I just read your thread, and now understand what you mean!!!! Sorry that happened to you! That is the worst feeling. I had a box of coins and some mixed silver come up missing out of my old house I had them figured to aprox. 100 ozt of pure silver weight. To this day I'm not really sure where it went. I have a guess, but no proof. Makes you sick when you find out something like that!!!! My stomach turned when I read your thread, I've been there.There were only two people other than me that knew my hiding spots my dad and a "friend/business partner" at the time. I think the "friend" got in when we were at a show and took them. But I'm not positive...

Also had a so called "father in law" wifes real dad, who would help himself when ever you weren't paying attention.When we had our small store he would even steal stuff, I would hand him a cheaper wheat penny book to look at, because at least it kept him busy stealing cheap stuff when I was helping other customers and he was so obvious too, he would try to direct your attention somewhere else, or look all around, and you knew what he was doing.:laughing7:.... He would pull in the drive at our house and her and I would scatter to try to hide anything valuable. If we didn't answer the door? He wouldn't go away.The one house we wouldn't even give him the address.:laughing7: We kept changing the subject or would come up with a stupid excuses of why we weren't giving it to him. So much more peaceful living 3 states away now, for the most part!:occasion14:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions