Graded Tokens?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Mackaydon
  • 1 Post By Nitric
  • 1 Post By jerseyben
  • 1 Post By kcm
  • 2 Post By jerseyben
  • 2 Post By idahotokens
  • 2 Post By idahotokens

Thread: Graded Tokens?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    WP

    Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    4,759
    6193 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Graded Tokens?

    Does anyone have their tokens graded by pcgs,ngc,anacs,segs etc....I'd like to eventually send a bunch of stuff to have it graded, coins and tokens. Any thoughts? Does it help or waste of money? I'm talking about hard times tokens, the civil war type cent's(can't remember what they are called store tokens?) Some of the old commemorative halves etc...

    I like the idea of slabbed and graded, in case something happens to me down the road, my wife or son or who ever knows exactly what it is. instead of having to sort boxes of mixed stuff. That and If I ever need to sell it seems a lot easier when they are graded.

    Any thoughts? I had a friend years ago that hated slabbed coins, he didn't agree with some of the grading and the premium of a coin that could be bought in better condition not slabbed for the same price or cheaper in some cases. But I think it's probably more standardized now?

    Just for something to talk about..
    Last edited by Nitric; Sep 01, 2016 at 06:29 PM.

  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

    Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    20,880
    15310 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    nitric,
    Post this in tokens; soon "John in 206" might answer your Q as to tokens.
    Don.....
    Nitric likes this.

  3. #3
    us
    WP

    Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    4,759
    6193 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    nitric,
    Post this in tokens; soon "John in 206" might answer your Q as to tokens.
    Don.....
    I didn't even know there was a token section!

    Thanks! Maybe I'll get some together and take pics before I post in there. I'm still pretty scattered with this stuff. Trying to come up with some type of plan or organization.
    kcm likes this.

  4. #4
    us
    Nov 2010
    NJ Pine Barrens
    T2 SE
    5,165
    2193 times
    Many of these are quite common and not worth a whole lot of money. IMO, it won't be worth it to have stuff like this slabbed.

    Maybe pick a few of the best/most valuable and post them here to get opinions on whether or not it is worth it to have them slabbed, on a case by case basis.
    Nitric likes this.
    "Internet quotes are often inaccurate."
    -Abraham Lincoln

  5. #5
    us
    WP

    Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    4,759
    6193 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyben View Post
    Many of these are quite common and not worth a whole lot of money. IMO, it won't be worth it to have stuff like this slabbed.

    Maybe pick a few of the best/most valuable and post them here to get opinions on whether or not it is worth it to have them slabbed, on a case by case basis.
    I agree, I was going through some yesterday, I have tons of Bus and I guess even trolley tokens. Not really worth keeping in my opinion, or in my interest. Maybe one or two for an example, but not a quarter of a ziplock bag. That's another problem....I have no organization, a lot of this stuff was stuff that I didn't know about, thought it looked cool, or whatever. So my boxes are mixed with complete garbage and some half way ok stuff. I doubt there is anything real great or I would have sold it. Like most of the good or key dates. Wish I wouldn't have done that now.But at the time I thought I was moving stuff to build a business..Little did I know then, some of that stuff doesn't just come around.. I found 4 Hobo nickels and a few love tokens that are done on seated coins, I didn't even know I had those still. So, who knows maybe something half way good yet.

    I did find a lower grade 21 and 21D merc. So, I'm glad to see something a little better was "lost in the mix" hopefully more. And a lot of Indian Heads I only ever sold a few of those. Mostly all the key dates which stinks, but I want to go through those with the "Cherry Pickers guide" and see if anything good is in there.

    TONS of foreign stuff. I do like the older stuff, so that is interesting to look at. Again most is basically worthless. I still have a lot to learn there too...Ok, I have a lot to learn everywhere!

    I wouldn't even mind trying an online store, but my weakness is Grading. I can figure Gold and silver value fast, but the grading part is a nightmare for me in the higher grades.

    I'd like to eventually move the junk out, and concentrate on older better coins.
    Last edited by Nitric; Sep 02, 2016 at 08:06 AM.

  6. #6
    kcm
    kcm is offline
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    5,789
    7093 times
    I didn't know there was a "Tokens" section, either.
    Nitric likes this.
    "...I've got silver in the stars and gold in the morning sun" - Don Williams

  7. #7
    us
    WP

    Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    4,759
    6193 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I guess part of my initial question was supposed to be, or what I was thinking but didn't come out clear. Are there uses for the lesser grading services. I guess I could look this up and study it on my own it's just for conversation I guess.

    Some are of the grading services are cheaper. Are some of you guys using different companies for different coins or tokens? Like the lesser value stuff? But then I know from my experience if I see the cheap companies, I usually don't even look at them. I wondered if everyone has this same opinion of some of these services. Some are just "grading" and don't authenticate the coin. When I learned this, I learned to just keep moving, because there is a good chance the coin is fake or altered in some cases. I have a great example of this when I find it. It's a very good fake.

  8. #8
    us
    Nov 2010
    NJ Pine Barrens
    T2 SE
    5,165
    2193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitric View Post
    I guess part of my initial question was supposed to be, or what I was thinking but didn't come out clear. Are there uses for the lesser grading services. I guess I could look this up and study it on my own it's just for conversation I guess.

    Some are of the grading services are cheaper. Are some of you guys using different companies for different coins or tokens? Like the lesser value stuff? But then I know from my experience if I see the cheap companies, I usually don't even look at them. I wondered if everyone has this same opinion of some of these services. Some are just "grading" and don't authenticate the coin. When I learned this, I learned to just keep moving, because there is a good chance the coin is fake or altered in some cases. I have a great example of this when I find it. It's a very good fake.
    I get what you are trying to do, I just don't see the point. Unless you are just looking to spend money on something with little to no value added?

    I really wish more people would realize that you CAN collect coins without having them slabbed. Coins don't magically transform into something else after they are slabbed. It is still the same exact coin. You can effectively portray the same effect by placing any coin in a 2x2 holder and writing the same info on it yourself. Granted, others may question your grade as subjective, but the same could be said about a TPG (any many people do question it).
    Nitric and lastleg like this.
    "Internet quotes are often inaccurate."
    -Abraham Lincoln

  9. #9

    Aug 2003
    2,073
    1038 times
    Your initial question was about slabbing/grading tokens. In my opinion, unless a piece is a high-grade, high value token, most token collectors do not care a lot about grading. A good photo is what is required for most token collectors to make a buying decision. I have seen a number of $5 tokens slabbed at a cost of at least $10. I personally would place no premium on that token being slabbed. Another thing to consider if you are interested in selling is that eBay only considers a few grading services to be legit, so if you have one slabbed by Joe's Grading Service, you can't advertise it on eBay the same as one slabbed by a company on their list.

    Most token collectors use "flips" or 2x2 cardboard holders to organize and protect their collections. There are pages that hold 20 of these holders and they fit in a standard 3-ring binder. Makes them relatively easy to organize and view, plus the investment is small.

    It sounds like you need to get them sorted, then do some research on each category to see what you have.

    John in the Great 208
    lastleg and Nitric like this.

  10. #10
    us
    WP

    Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    4,759
    6193 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyben View Post
    I get what you are trying to do, I just don't see the point. Unless you are just looking to spend money on something with little to no value added?

    I really wish more people would realize that you CAN collect coins without having them slabbed. Coins don't magically transform into something else after they are slabbed. It is still the same exact coin. You can effectively portray the same effect by placing any coin in a 2x2 holder and writing the same info on it yourself. Granted, others may question your grade as subjective, but the same could be said about a TPG (any many people do question it).
    I guess part of it is, the being able to show people and not have to worry, the protection type thing. I have a few that were put in flips or holders and they are spotting or changing color. I even have a MS 69 2008 eagle, in a pcgs holder that has spotted on me. Not a valuable coin but the spotting even in a holder kind of ticks me off. I see your point....I guess there is ups and downs to it either way. I just need to pick a decision and go with it. Too indecisive on some of this stuff..Maybe OCD even! I think I have a little of that.

  11. #11
    us
    WP

    Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    4,759
    6193 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by idahotokens View Post
    Your initial question was about slabbing/grading tokens. In my opinion, unless a piece is a high-grade, high value token, most token collectors do not care a lot about grading. A good photo is what is required for most token collectors to make a buying decision. I have seen a number of $5 tokens slabbed at a cost of at least $10. I personally would place no premium on that token being slabbed. Another thing to consider if you are interested in selling is that eBay only considers a few grading services to be legit, so if you have one slabbed by Joe's Grading Service, you can't advertise it on eBay the same as one slabbed by a company on their list.

    Most token collectors use "flips" or 2x2 cardboard holders to organize and protect their collections. There are pages that hold 20 of these holders and they fit in a standard 3-ring binder. Makes them relatively easy to organize and view, plus the investment is small.

    It sounds like you need to get them sorted, then do some research on each category to see what you have.


    John in the Great 208
    Thank you! Yes, I have to get organized. I have a lot to learn too...

    I also didn't know about the Ebay list thing, That gives me something else to look into. I've had this stuff sitting and want to do something with it while putting some of it away for my son. I guess I'm just over worried about losing anything more. One of those things, what can I stretch out of this while protecting any half way good stuff for the future, then trying to make a decision. What if anything will make things more valuable, and what is the cost versus what I'm going to make in the end. etc....... Alot of indecision and questions...I had a huge collection. and was pretty stupid with it. Sold things like they were always going to be flowing, well, little did I know I was in a very good position and didn't work it very good. So, don't want to do the same thing with whatever is left. If that explains a little more of where I'm coming from with some of my questions in this forum. I think I had some really great stuff that I sold at basically silver and gold prices.

  12. #12

    Aug 2003
    2,073
    1038 times
    There are online sites giving photo examples of coins in the various grades which you can use to get a preliminary grade. Then you can do online research for most coins to see what the values might be. If it were me, only after doing that, and only in cases where the difference in price between the grade you think and the grades above and below that is significant, and where the selling price is above $50, would I have a coin slabbed.

    Don't use eBay "asking price" as a pricing guide. Go to actual completed sales.

    A good investment for U.S. coins is a copy of the "Red Book" - and it doesn't need to be the absolute latest edition. That reference also has good grading illustrations. Since the market for trade tokens is not as mature as that for U.S. coins, figuring a value is a lot more difficult. Go to TokenCatalog.com for general ideas. Civil War tokens are a lot easier - there are recent books that are pretty good. Foreign coins (non-silver/gold) are not popular in the U.S. - many coin dealers have junk boxes selling them pretty cheaply. Again, some research is needed so you don't overlook a hidden gem. There is a standard catalog of World coins that helps. Your local library may have some of these references.

    A lot of silver and gold coins have no collector premium (over melt value) unless they are in the highest of grades.

    John
    Nitric and lastleg like this.

  13. #13
    us
    WP

    Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    4,759
    6193 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by idahotokens View Post
    There are online sites giving photo examples of coins in the various grades which you can use to get a preliminary grade. Then you can do online research for most coins to see what the values might be. If it were me, only after doing that, and only in cases where the difference in price between the grade you think and the grades above and below that is significant, and where the selling price is above $50, would I have a coin slabbed.

    Don't use eBay "asking price" as a pricing guide. Go to actual completed sales.



    A good investment for U.S. coins is a copy of the "Red Book" - and it doesn't need to be the absolute latest edition. That reference also has good grading illustrations. Since the market for trade tokens is not as mature as that for U.S. coins, figuring a value is a lot more difficult. Go to TokenCatalog.com for general ideas. Civil War tokens are a lot easier - there are recent books that are pretty good. Foreign coins (non-silver/gold) are not popular in the U.S. - many coin dealers have junk boxes selling them pretty cheaply. Again, some research is needed so you don't overlook a hidden gem. There is a standard catalog of World coins that helps. Your local library may have some of these references.

    A lot of silver and gold coins have no collector premium (over melt value) unless they are in the highest of grades.

    John
    Thanks again!! I actually think I have the books you mentioned. I have the world coin books. I thought I had the token books too, but I can't find them at the moment. I thought they were black, with a picture on the cover...I may be wrong and thinking of something else..Ya, I need organized! I moved a couple of years back, and everything was just thrown into boxes. I still haven't gotten organized...

    And yes!! The computer makes it a lot easier! I'm old enough to remember......"when I was a kid we didn't even have a computer(well a trs80) Had to walk to the library both ways uphill 10miles in the snow with no shoes!!" Well, ok I might of had shoes, and it was only a block away!
    Last edited by Nitric; Sep 02, 2016 at 11:35 AM.

 

 

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Should I have it graded?
    By nwcleaningllc in forum Coins
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jul 30, 2014, 02:26 PM
  2. utah emergency relief tokens or sales tax tokens
    By shawn_nunnelly in forum Tokens & Tags
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Sep 24, 2012, 05:37 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: Oct 05, 2008, 08:04 PM
  4. Should I get it graded?
    By GaCracker in forum Coins
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jun 29, 2008, 12:07 AM
  5. Tokens, Tokens and Silver, last weeks finds!
    By ringfinder in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Apr 25, 2008, 08:26 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0