1865 three cent silver

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Hello all, I wanted to throw some eye candy on here and was hoping to get a few opinions on what would be the best course of action to take as far as grading.
Here it is, an 1865 three cent piece. I'm not sure if it's a proof coin or not. Any help on grading would be greatly appreciated.
Also take notice to the reverse punch showing through on the obverse.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1473096020.417177.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1473096044.693024.jpg
It's a shame the coin has been scratched but it's still s gem!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reverse elements showing on the obverse is cased by clashed dies. Detail is nice but as previously stated, badly damaged from improper cleaning.

OP
OP
gunner45

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Yeah, made me sick when I saw it. Any Guess as to what you think the value would come in at?

Last edited:

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It appears to have been polished at some point.. Not good.

To all chemical experts! Is there a way or method to REVERSE the appearance of the coin being cleaned?, with chemicals?
Sure would be nice to see this coin back to its original color. Great find none the less.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To all chemical experts! Is there a way or method to REVERSE the appearance of the coin being cleaned?, with chemicals?
Sure would be nice to see this coin back to its original color. Great find none the less.

they are thin coins.
I never really noticed that in the past but,
the stamp through is probably pretty common.

on the polish. bury it out in the elements for a few years.
I say that sarcastically, but in my mind it is also probably the best way to get it back to it's original
tarnished look.

The scratches don't bother me. But the Polish makes it look Fake.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gunner45

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
In all honesty it looks much better in person and the scratches aren't visible to the naked eye.
The light I took the picture under is definitely highlighting the scratches.
No doubt it was cleaned but the coin is a key date none the less. My guess is it's ms++ but it will certainly come back "cleaned"

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, once it's been cleaned you can kiss that MS grade goodbye!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Umm... No.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could also be BU details improperly cleaned.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this will help anything....I was watching these the other day and found a lot of it interesting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you get an MS grade, I doubt you would get an offer any higher than an XF would due to the scratches. Personally, I'd rather have an XF without the scratches.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you get an MS grade, I doubt you would get an offer any higher than an XF would due to the scratches. Personally, I'd rather have an XF without the scratches.

I do understand the camera thing too...I've tried to picture a few for the threads, They look great even under 10 power, but for some reason look horrible when pictured, it's like the camera draws out and magnifies every little mark, that you don't really see with the eye. I bet it's really hard to try to picture and sell on ebay or online. I guess what I'm thinking is that the coin of the thread probably doesn't look as bad to the eyes. It's probably a really nice looking coin. :dontknow:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like cudamark said. It might be ms details, but you won't get ms prices for it.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Honestly, I would rather have an XF grade without the scratches than a BU grade with scratches. For value, I would probably look in the VG to F column. Improper cleaning on this coin bumped the value down several hundred dollars, and I don't even want to get started on the scratches!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions