Worthless penny today, banner find tomorrow.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While cleaning my coins today I could not help but think of the old saying “Todays trash is tomorrows treasure.” I have a feeling that today’s zink pennies will fall into that category as well. Someday, maybe not in our lifetime, people will look at Zink pennies and dream of finding one intact and unblemished. I don’t know, maybe I will bury a jar full of them for some future treasure hunter looking for a banner find. Is this a rational thought?

IMG_1040.JPG

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The jar would have to be an "air tight vacuum" container. Make it interesting for the finder to drool over, LIKE WOW, look what I found from the year 2016. Imagine someone finding your jar in the year 2516, who knows?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ammoman, forgot to mention, what about today's coins we find, just wondering where have they been since ie 1890, who touched them, what could they tell us? Interesting if we could pull a DNA from a coin.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it would have to be air tight. LOL i guess a note should be put inside the jar. Just think....if each penny inflates to a value of 10 bucks a coin and 500 coins are in the jar? hmmmmm

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the ones I dig look like a squirrel took a bite & barfed 'em back up. idiot who came up with that metal combination can be proud of wasting tax dollars for rotten crap

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottom penny, second from left...is a hoot!:laughing7:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the case of Zincolns I think a revision is in order to the adage "Todays junk is also tomorrows junk"

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Considering that the zinc cents were minted in the BILLIONS, there should be no shortage of these in the future, even in the distant future. Considering coin collecting is supply and demand, the supply should far outweigh the demand. The reason a 1794 cent is worth so much is because less than 1 million were struck. ALSO, they were not "collected" the same way we collect coins today. Thus, almost none were set aside for preservation. The survival rate is very low. Since these coins were nearly all spent/circulated, they did not survive in high grade. Thus, collectors today create high demand for a coin with almost no supply. The zinc cents are being hoarded by thousands of people in uncirculated rolls and thus, the supply will be plentiful in the future.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes billions were made and hording is taking place but only on key dates. The rest, the common penny that nobody is interested will be the one everyone is looking for in the future. Given the fact that these coins are being made with less than desirable metals that don't hold up to the elements makes it even more probable that they will be highly sought after in the future. Think about old food cans from the early 1900s, they were trash to be thrown away. Find a can of green beans with an intact label from 1900 and your talking big bucks.

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yes, its a rational thought ..everything changes over the years

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread