Wanting to clean up an indian head penny

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, i am looking for a good way to clean up and old indianbhead penny i found yesterday, i believe its an 1883?
Its pretty toasted.
I have tried electrolysis on pennies in the past without achiving good results. They would always strip away the plating. Any opinions would greatly be appericiated,

i have looked throught the discussion boards already, but decided to beginbmy own thread for such a matter.

Attachments

• 1474226655579.jpg
    1474226655579.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 266

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would put peroxide in a coffee mug and heat in microwave for 2 min. Then drop penny in and let it sit for an hour or 2. The peroxide will loosen the crust up but won't hurt the coin. After that you can put it in a glass of mineral oil and let soak for a few weeks to further loosen up the crust. Check on it ever so often and use a wooden toothpick to help remove the crust

Or since it's a common date. You could throw it in a tumbler and get it shiny again. Depends on how you want to display it because the value is almost gone

OP
OP
whistler84

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you turbo21, the advice is much appericiated, ill have to save that info

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying a new method right now. Looking good so far. Here's the plan:

1. Wash with Dawn dishwashing liquid while scrubbing with an old tooth brush.
2. Soak in boiling peroxide for 10 minutes.
3. Refer back to #1.
4. Soak in Mean Green degreaser for 10 minutes.

Repeat steps 1-4 for as many times as necessary. Finally, soak In olive oil for a week and then wash with dishwashing liquid for one final time.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really depends on how you want to preserve the coin. If just clean for your collection that's fine. If to give it collector's value then cleaning with harsh cleaners is not good. Heck, might as well use an eraser on it in that case!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I clean some of my coins with only DAWN, not any further than that, works out fine. Gets the slimy oily coating off the coins.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, i am looking for a good way to clean up and old indianbhead penny i found yesterday, i believe its an 1883?
Its pretty toasted.
I have tried electrolysis on pennies in the past without achiving good results. They would always strip away the plating. Any opinions would greatly be appericiated,

i have looked throught the discussion boards already, but decided to beginbmy own thread for such a matter.

IMO In that condition & that it's a Common Date (as far as IH Cents Go) Clean it up however you like, 'ME' I would not use a Tumbler , (Unless Purchased Shiny IH Cents are not my thing. )

I'd just Hot Peroxide it a time or 2 5-10 min each side then a good soap of your choice scrubbing (with a Medium Scrub Brush), also use a Magnifier ; & if the Pitting is down into the Metal , it won't get much better (After Peroxide /Soap) .

If it was a 1878 or before maybe a dry scrub with a soft brush is all I might do.

Yours may look pretty decent under that initial layer of crust.

Don't be like me & Way over Think & clean a Common Coin , Most times less is better .
GD & Congratz on Digging a Nice Indian Princess Head Cent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread