Pennies with no mint mark

Tanman2001

Greenie
Apr 9, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, they are typical for that range. When a US coin does not have a mintmark it means it was made at the Philadelphia mint. Pennies without mintmarks are very common, S mintmarks are the ones to look for!

OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I thought that might be the case but wanted to double check. I thought perhaps they were just worn at first.
Why are S mint marks important?
I haven't really ever looked into pennies until I found a large box at my Great Uncle's house. He would roll pennies up and give them away at Halloween.

Thank you again.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Wikipedia has a good write-up on Mint Marks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mint_mark

Another good resource for cents is:
The Lincoln Cent Resource

And a good resource for all coinage is:
Wexler's Coins and Die Varieties

One of the most common things that people find when looking for errors is Machine Doubled Die. This is not only with cents, but with all coinage. It is also not a true error. However, some folks still try to sell some on eBay. There are other forms of such worthless doubling, but these sites explain it a whole lot better than I ever could!

OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wikipedia has a good write-up on Mint Marks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mint_mark

Another good resource for cents is:
The Lincoln Cent Resource

And a good resource for all coinage is:
Wexler's Coins and Die Varieties

One of the most common things that people find when looking for errors is Machine Doubled Die. This is not only with cents, but with all coinage. It is also not a true error. However, some folks still try to sell some on eBay. There are other forms of such worthless doubling, but these sites explain it a whole lot better than I ever could!

Thank you very much. I look forward to learning more about the subject.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...But a subject that is also very good at starting the occasional headache! :BangHead::tard:

OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been somewhat interested it learning more about collecting coins and paper money in the past. A Confederate bill was passed down to me along with a few coins and that peaked my interest about 15 years ago but then life got busy. I should dig them out and look into once more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread