How to remove stain from a silver quarter

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! I sent a 1937 D quarter off to NGC thinking that it had mild toning. When it came back, it had a grade of Uncirculated Details Stained. I broke the coin out and I tried dipping it in EZ Zest coin cleaner which removes toning but, nothing came off. Is there any way to remove the staining without hurting the coin? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1475802794.767710.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Go to Walmart and pick up a tub (plastic container) of Connoisseurs Revitalizing Silver Jewelry Cleaner shown at the link below. When you get ready to remove the stain, first wash your' hands well, douse the Quarter with Rubbing Alcohol and rub both sides lightly with a soft fingertip. Rinse with water and pat the Quarter dry between the folds of a soft towel. Next, place the Quarter in the washing tub inside the Jewelry Cleaner's container, then dump it into the Cleaner solution only 3 times (*), then remove and rinse with water. Next, rinse the Quarter with Rubbing Alcohol, then rinse with water and pat dry again then let air dry for awhile. This is the best solution I have found and if done correctly, the coin should be stain free, look like new if it is Uncirculated with Mint luster and there should be no evidence of the cleaning.

(*) If after 3 dumps into the Silver Cleaner solution, the stain or some staining still remains on the coin, then you might try 1 or 2 more dumps into the cleaner solution but no more as any Silver Cleaner solution will strip too much luster off of a coin if dumped too many times in it or it spends too much time in it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Connoisseurs-Revitalizing-Silver-Jewelry-Cleaner/19526491

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow! My wife actually has some already in her jewelry box. I'll give it a try and I'll let you know how it turns out. Thank you very much for the advice!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then it will come back cleaned next time you send it in.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Then it will come back cleaned next time you send it in.

If sent back in by the O.P., quite possibly because they have the record for it's previous submission! However, I have used this method to remove stains or bad toning on many Uncirculated Silver Coins with Mint Luster and the cleaning was never detected by anyone who saw the coins afterwards. I have also had a few coins that came out dull and believe that they were already compromised by some chemical or contaminant. You should have seen some Morgan Silver Dollars I used the method on! They were so badly toned that they were down right ugly, so I got them cheap. I bought them because I could see that they had mirrored fields underneath which was barely visible with a 10x loupe. Some came out as Proof Like and some came out as DMPL's.

Frank

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want it slabbed by NGC again, wait a month or two and have a friend send it in. Otherwise, send it to PCGS.

OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I appreciated the advice but unfortunately the stains still there. It does look like it faded a little though. I think I'm going to throw it on eBay and buy a graded one that's problem free.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I appreciated the advice but unfortunately the stains still there. It does look like it faded a little though. I think I'm going to throw it on eBay and buy a graded one that's problem free.

Sorry it did not work! I really depends upon what made the stain but most stains and bad toning I have encountered, usually come off but not always. The oil from fingers can permeate into the metal itself and especially so, the longer they remain on a coin. Can you post a pic, so that we can see the results?

Frank

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Seeing that you've already initiated a cleansing to it, try putting it in hydrogen peroxide for a spell.

OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the before and after results. It does look quite a bit better! Unfortunately, I still think it will grade the same if I resubmit it. That's ok though. It was worth a shot. I just wonder what stained it so bad.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476026879.667551.jpg
Before

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476026901.993788.jpg
After

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah but, I'm afraid that might leave hairline scratches.[emoji4]

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The AFTER pic looks fine to me, excellent condition.

OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't tried anything else. I'm afraid I'll remove the luster along with the rest of the stain. I think I'm gonna just accept it for what it is. A permanently stained coin. It happens sometimes when you buy off of eBay. :)

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't tried anything else. I'm afraid I'll remove the luster along with the rest of the stain. I think I'm gonna just accept it for what it is. A permanently stained coin. It happens sometimes when you buy off of eBay. :)

Again, I am sorry that all of the stain did not come off! It is funny because you could just as easily had another Quarter with a stain that came off with ease while the subject one did not. I have been looking at some Morgan Dollars in search of some new and/or tough VAM's and if I come across a nice Uncirculated specimen that is hideously toned, I will use my method to remove the toning and post pre and post treatment pics.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread