Couple more mint errors?

DimebagDon

Nov 18, 2016
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sat Nov 19 16-37-06.jpg Sat Nov 19 16-40-14.jpg Sat Nov 19 16-43-17.jpg Sat Nov 19 16-44-35.jpg First one has a good sized imprint and the second has a raised kinda v shaped area on Rosies lower jaw. Did they happen at the mint, or are they both pmd?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It's difficult to tell. I would say the first is probably a grease error, but the angle of light on both coins is too steep to know what I'm looking at. Is there any way to turn off the overhead light and use a handheld light more from the side?

...Gotta admit though, that first coin is growing on me! :thumbsup:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Possibly grease filled Die on the first Dime but there may be some Lamination separation due to the depression around the Date and the bottom of Roosevelt's bust. The second Dime may be the result of Grease but I have seen some Dimes, Quarters and Half Dollars that looked similar that suffered from the Die or Planchet being too hot and the Cladding getting stuck to the Die and being pulled off the coin's surface.

Frank

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
agree with Frank. try pics in natural light, tight focus
Possibly grease filled Die on first Dime but there may be some Lamination separation due to the depression around the Date and the bottom of Roosevelt's bust. The second Dime may be the result of Grease but I have seen some Dimes, Quarters and Half Dollars that looked similar that suffered from the Die or Planchet being too hot and the Cladding getting stuck to the Die and being pulled off the coin's surface.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread