1982 U.S. Quarter Error?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe the "9" (nine) is slightly filled in and makes it look like a "0"zero. Pic please.

OP
OP
T

TNFinder

Dec 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ADDED: The 1982 D Quarter is slightly off-center; hence the bottom of '1982' date-stamp reaches the edge of the coin, hence the lower-half of the '9' is cut-off and appears like a '0.' The year on the coin reads '1082' instead of reading '1982.'

Pictures of similar errors in year stamp resulting from slightly off-center quarters were not found online (as of this post). May post picture of Quarter.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either a misaligned die or off center strike. What does the reverse look like?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Is the "0" the same size as the rest of the numbers in the date, or does it look like the top portion of a "9" without the lower portion?

Yes, a pic would be of great help in IDing this "error".

OP
OP
T

TNFinder

Dec 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The size of the '0' is different than the rest of the numbers in the date; that is the top-portion of a '9' without the lower portion. The reverse of the Quarter is normal.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The size of the '0' is different than the rest of the numbers in the date; that is the top-portion of a '9' without the lower portion. The reverse of the Quarter is normal.

So what you "MOST LIKELY" have is a greaser - meaning, that there was some excess grease on the die that squeezed out while the coin was being minted. This is a very common occurrence, so I'm sorry to say it's not worth anything extra, even though this happened at the mint. Of course, it is also possible that the bottom of the "9" has been damaged or somehow cut off afterward, but in either case, it's not worth anything more.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Simply a misaligned die. Without clear images showing both the amount of misalignment and overall condition of the coin, any further evaluation would be guesswork.

Time for coffee.

edit: kcm suggests a greaser. I have to admit that is also consistent with the description given by the OP. Still, clear images are needed to make any reasonable evaluation.

Still time for coffee. Eggs are coming.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
no images, no reply
Brady

Is a new member - might not know how to post images yet. Or, like some of our veteran members, may not be set up to do so. Also, this person was last on this morning, so I wouldn't exactly consider the thread abandoned yet. But yes, a pic would be wonderful!!

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A picture is worth 1000 words. If you are going to ask people's opinion on a possible error, you have have to post a picture.

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Don!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say.
Posting pictures is a pain for me as well (for some reason) I have to have my wife do it.
but
When I'm asking a ? on a certain Coin or Relic , I do my best to post a picture ASAP, maybe the OP is just Unable to post a picture for some reason .

OP..Like it;s been stated a picture will solve yr issue Most likely.
By Now I'm guessing u figured out u have nothing special, but please post a pic, if u can & Keep looking Errors are Out There. .......X- Files Music.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread