1994 P Quarter

hogan36

Oct 15, 2013
memphis ,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone help me identify these marks on this 1994 P Quarter?

1994 p quarter.jpg 1994 p quarter5.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Basic scratch marks? Maybe it was dropped on the ground and stepped on while on a sharp rock? ...Not sure it's possible to know what formed them.

OP
OP
H

hogan36

Oct 15, 2013
memphis ,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that's the case,it would have been across the wings not behind the wings.
Basic scratch marks? Maybe it was dropped on the ground and stepped on while on a sharp rock? ...Not sure it's possible to know what formed them.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Not necessarily. I run across this quite often. I even have a quarter that I would have sworn had gouges on the planchett, as it was on both sides of the lettering, but not the lettering itself. Have since learned that this is not uncommon. ...Let me see if I can find a pic of that one. It's somewhere here on Tnet, but would be easier to just post again.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
ARG! Must have been before I started keeping the pics in a special folder. Sorry, just don't have the data time to search Tnet. Will try to find the actual coin again.....SOMEWHERE! :laughing7:

OP
OP
H

hogan36

Oct 15, 2013
memphis ,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate it! Do you think it has any type of value to it since you said it is not uncommon?
ARG! Must have been before I started keeping the pics in a special folder. Sorry, just don't have the data time to search Tnet. Will try to find the actual coin again.....SOMEWHERE! :laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep. $0.25

Not uncommon means that it's fairly common. I stopped searching quarters several months ago and only do cents now, but find the same thing with them as well. Same with all denominations of coins.

The first time I saw one like this, I got all excited thinking I had found an error. But have since done a lot of research and learned a lot from searching and, while I still think it "might" be possible that it's a pre-minting scratch, they are still regarded as no extra value.

If an existing coin, the wrong planchett or the wrong-sized planchett are used, then it's worth something. But sadly, scratches like this aren't.

ACK!! ...Boy, I gotta get rid of some of these old coins that at one time looked like something special, but now are just damaged coins. :tard:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, the anomaly appears to have been on the die. I can't tell if it's scratched or a solid area on each side. Is it raised?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On each side of the eagle's head, where the arrows are pointing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions