1902 S Morgan AU 50 for $24? Yea!

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys my local pawn always gets in tons of Morgans from time to time. I bought two ngc graded Morgans while back MS 62 for $20 a piece. Since then absolutely nothing until now!! They had these priced at $25 a piece I offered $24 and bought this one! 1902 S! Wowow my most expensive coin in my collection and most expensive coin find of all time! Now the coin store I brought it to said they'd grade it at an AU 50 but they were hesitant because they thought the S looked "weird"? They eventually came to conclusion it is real, no evidence or any signs of adding a mint mark. As for the grade do you guys agree with AU 50? I personally maybe down one grade but not sure on that. I plan on having this graded for sure. Thoughts?
20161217_192851_resized.jpg 20161217_192905_resized.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome purchase on a highly sought after Morgan Silver Dollar! I believe the coin is a solid AU-50 and could fetch $250 to $270 on most good days on eBay even without being certified and graded as long as you have a great Feedback rating. It appears that the only thing that might hold it back from getting an AU-55 grade, is the wear on Miss Liberty's hair above her' ear and the ding on her' neck.

Frank

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Weigh it and try a magnet test. Lot's of fakes going around, and a pawn shop selling it to you at 1/10th the value?

Pardon my paranoia!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Weigh it and try a magnet test. Lot's of fakes going around, and a pawn shop selling it to you at 1/10th the value?

Pardon my paranoia!

The ring test should suffice but you are right, there are a lot of fakes being passed around. However, due to the strong strike and the sharpness of the letters and images where they meet the fields, I truly believe that the coin is genuine. Maybe this certain Pawn Shop does not gouge customers for every cent they can squeeze out of them like some others often do. It appears from the appearance of the rims that the coin may have resided in a bezel at some time since being struck and that could possibly account for a lower price. Who knows for sure!!??

Frank

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I do know you can get MS65 Morgans for $30 at certain places. Good Luck with the Grading. PEACE:RONB

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi; I do know you can get MS65 Morgans for $30 at certain places. Good Luck with the Grading. PEACE:RONB

Yeah, I picked up a 1904-O Morgan for $25 back in November at the Flea Market where a friend and myself set up. The coin is clearly an MS-64 and might possibly squeak out an MS-65 grade, so great deals are always possible!

Frank

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Please let us know these places to get real truly MS-65 Morgans. I want to buy a bunch...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice SCORE! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread