How do you cash in coins after going through rolls?

ThinIce

Dec 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you need to buy coin rolls in order for banks to take back coins? Having to bring in 50-100 dollars worth of coins can be tedious for the teller to put back in rolls, and I've heard of banks rejecting taking in large amounts of change without rolling. How do you guys cash in your sorted rolls?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read the beginner's guide on the coin roll hunting forum sticky.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Depends on the bank. Most if not all will still give you wrappers for free if you have an account. But.. Some prefer the coins to be loose so they can dump them into their coin counters and some prefer them rolled. No one answer to your question really.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems many of the CRHers here now have to roll their coins before taking them to the bank. In my area, that's unheard of! They simply will not take rolled coins at any local bank!! So NHBandit is spot on - it depends on your area.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a local Credit Union that has a coin counting machine. If you have a child's account, or if you have enough account points (direct deposit, paperless monthly, so on all earn points), Get enough points and you can use the coin counter for free.

Bigreno

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I like about my Credit Union is the coin counter in the lobby. You just walk up, dump in your coins and it spits out a receipt. Take it to the teller and as long as you have an account there, they hand you the cash or deposit it. They do charge a fee if you don't have an account though.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my credit unions let me haul in bags of loose coin in the amount of hundreds of dollars at a time. It was counted (weighed) by the armored service. Never once had a problem.
The CU gave me cash immediately, I did this for several years.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I got 4 rolls of gold presidential dollars from my bank. (I spend them)

Each roll was exactly 1 coin short.

I went back to my branch (they know me well) and they started opening the rest of the rolls. They took in 20 rolls from a woman and exchanged for paper.

Each roll was one coin short.

They gave me 4 bucks making my rolls correct, and took the loss on theirs.

They don't take rolls anymore.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My local credit union also has a coin counter in the lobby. Head mean teller told me the other day they do NOT take rolled or loose coins.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
G.I.B.:

A few years we went to Mexico on vacation and I took some "gold" presidents to give away as tips. I thought they were cool. My wife thought I was nutz.

As usual she was right and I was wrong. People thought I'd made them myself, didn't know what they were, acted strange when I handed them out, etc., etc. A complete bust.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
G.I.B.:

A few years we went to Mexico on vacation and I took some "gold" presidents to give away as tips. I thought they were cool. My wife thought I was nutz.

As usual she was right and I was wrong. People thought I'd made them myself, didn't know what they were, acted strange when I handed them out, etc., etc. A complete bust.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM
I know - we act the same here in the US when we are handed those coins - :laughing7:

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it is entertaining. The kids and I volunteer at a renaissance faire during the summer as cashiers & the Faire gives the small gold and silver dollars out as change. The reactions vary greatly, anywhere from "Give me REAL money" to "those are so cool".

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
G.I.B.:

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

That was my reaction when I got the first Pres coin. Problem was, it was MY OWN BANK giving it to me, and even the teller hadn't seen them before!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread