vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I searched and found a lot of matches on everything BUT they all specify the type of coin (i.e., 1909 Penny, etc.) - what is it?

OP
OP
DrCaufield

DrCaufield

Jul 25, 2013
It is a cent coin the year is unable to be determined as it's 100% capped

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are ways to narrow down the date. For example, composition, reverse pattern.

OP
OP
DrCaufield

DrCaufield

Jul 25, 2013
I also think the value lies in the 100% capped. Not so much the year

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably from the 60s or 70s. Certainly it is a very valuable coin, but how valuable I doubt anyone could tell you. If it truly the only 100% capped penny that is graded, it is invaluable.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
PCGS could have somewhat narrowed the time period that the coin was struck but a fee may have been the issue! If you paid for the Certification, Grading and Attributions, then they should have provided a more thorough service. One can see that the coin has a "Wide AM" Reverse which puts it in the realm of 1992 and before but the question is, is it a Copper Cent or Copper plated Zinc Cent which could have been surmised by weighing the coin because a Full Capped Die Strike takes nothing away from the weight of the coin. Sorry but just looking on eBay, one can see that the coin is not the only one ever Certified and Graded, 100% Capped Die Strike Lincoln Cent! Of course, you may mean the 100% notation on the Holder's Label but even without that notation a full Capped Die Strike is a 100% Struck Thru Capped (Die).

Frank

OP
OP
DrCaufield

DrCaufield

Jul 25, 2013
Thanks for the input. I don't own he coin but it's going up for auction and was trying to figure out what it would be worth to pay. The description was what was listed in the auction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread