New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone who really knows please help me ID this coin. I have limited pictures of it because I did not find it. I believe this is the link to it?
https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explor...1798-7-13-stars-rev-jr-2-10c-ms-coinid-816467

Resized_20170112_192920.jpg IMG_1148.PNG 20170112_1928251.jpg IMG_1146.PNG Resized_20170112_175701.jpg Resized_20170112_175713.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a dime to me.....:laughing7: You'll need to get a close up look at the 8 to see if it's an overdate or not. What else do you want to know?

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a dime to me.....:laughing7: You'll need to get a close up look at the 8 to see if it's an overdate or not. What else do you want to know?

Is my link the right one? And I could not find a 1798 with 13 stars that does not have a overdate. Is there a just 8? On the NGC explorer it only gives a 13 star 8 over 7
That is my confusion.
From the pix the guy sent me I can't tell for sure? Just seems like there is only a overdate?

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they made both. We'd need to have a better photo to see which variety you have.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Treblehunter; I believe from the pictures at hand now that it is a 1787 - 8/7 in XF20. BUUUTTT due to the large scratch on the Obverse beside the date the Grade is Lowered by One Grade making yours a strong VF-40 candidate. There were only 27.5K of this Date made. I'd put a starters value on it at $2,600. In XF-40 it is listed at $3.5K. Some may have an issue with the dents and other imperfections that are visible when you zoom in on these pictures like the pits on Liberty's Face etc.. DO NOT CLEAN IT "AT ALL".!!!! Send it in to PCGS to have it Graded ok. They will give you the definitive Grade for sure and it becomes a Certified coin no one can mess with ok.
By the way I almost forgot. I hereby Vote Banner due to the Rarity of such a find. CONGRATS. Way to start off the New Year. PEACE:RONB

PS: There are 13 Stars on the Obverse and 16 Stars on the Reverse. That is how it was made ok. PEACE:RONB :headbang:

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a 1798 small 8 to me. I am not seeing the rarer over date here. Still a mighty swell coin.Also note the four berries instead of five and your dime is the 13 star reverse variety. I see both 13 and 16 star varieties for the overdate as well as the non error dime in my research.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I did some more research and although it is very possible that I am wrong, I now believe that the coin is a 1798 Draped Bust Dime - Small "8" 13 Starred Reverse JR-3 Variety. The coin has some damage and might only receive a details grade but if it did receive a grade, then it would likely Grade at VF-20 with damage notations on the holder's label. Even with the damage notations, someone needing the coin for their' collection, might be willing to pay $5,000 or more for it. If it is in fact a JR-3 Variety, it actually has a Rarity of R6.

Frank

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Hi Treblehunter; I believe from the pictures at hand now that it is a 1787 - 8/7 in XF20. BUUUTTT due to the large scratch on the Obverse beside the date the Grade is Lowered by One Grade making yours a strong VF-40 candidate. There were only 27.5K of this Date made. I'd put a starters value on it at $2,600. In XF-40 it is listed at $3.5K. Some may have an issue with the dents and other imperfections that are visible when you zoom in on these pictures like the pits on Liberty's Face etc.. DO NOT CLEAN IT "AT ALL".!!!! Send it in to PCGS to have it Graded ok. They will give you the definitive Grade for sure and it becomes a Certified coin no one can mess with ok.
By the way I almost forgot. I hereby Vote Banner due to the Rarity of such a find. CONGRATS. Way to start off the New Year. PEACE:RONB

PS: There are 13 Stars on the Obverse and 16 Stars on the Reverse. That is how it was made ok. PEACE:RONB :headbang:
Banner ? First post he says he didn't find it.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a 13 Star Reverse! 1798/7 10C 13 Stars Reverse (Regular Strike) - PCGS CoinFacts
Also, I do not see an Overdate as well. There does appear to be something at the left middle portion of the "8" in the Date but don't think it is evidence of an Overdate unless there is another Variety other than the 1798/97 Variety.

Frank

I did some more research and although it is very possible that I am wrong, I now believe that the coin is a 1798 Draped Bust Dime - Small "8" 13 Starred Reverse JR-3 Variety. The coin has some damage and might only receive a details grade but if it did receive a grade, then it would likely Grade at VF-20 with damage notations on the holder's label. Even with the damage notations, someone needing the coin for their' collection, might be willing to pay $5,000 or more for it. If it is in fact a JR-3 Variety, it actually has a Rarity of R6.

Frank

Thanks Frank, I believe it is a 8 over 7, I believe it is a JR-2 (3 dozen known to exist)

No one can agree on what it is really because no one has a good photo of the coin. The guy who found it on my site told me this morning he can see the tail of the 7 coming out the bottom of the eight.

I also got word he is sending it in to get graded and slabbed, so in time we will know for sure, thanks again for your help.

Thank you everybody for your input/replies.

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if it does turn out to be the overdate.....I would give a gentle reminder to your new friend about how NICE you were to let him in your site, if he intends to sell it one day....you know the rest.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Frank, I believe it is a 8 over 7, I believe it is a JR-2 (3 dozen known to exist)

No one can agree on what it is really because no one has a good photo of the coin. The guy who found it on my site told me this morning he can see the tail of the 7 coming out the bottom of the eight.

I also got word he is sending it in to get graded and slabbed, so in time we will know for sure, thanks again for your help.

Thank you everybody for your input/replies.

Brad,

I hope he is correct on the Variety and that I am wrong in my assessment of the coin! In the larger pic where the coin appears Silver in color, I can only see what I stated and cannot see anything extra below the "8" in the Date. However, in the smaller pic where the coin appears brown, it appears that something could be there but whatever it could be, if there is anything there, doesn't seem oriented correctly to be the tail of a "7". Another thing I will note is the fact that almost all JR-2 Varieties for this Date show massive Die Clashing on the Obverse but I see none on the subject coin. The possible reasons that no Die Clashing is seen, 1) could be the pics not showing it, 2) there is none which could point to it not being a JR-2 Variety or 3) it is a JR-2 Variety but a very Early Die Stage (State) Strike before the Die Clashing. If per chance it is a JR-2 Variety and an Early Die Stage struck coin, then it will be highly sought after and more valuable than the noted value for the grade it receives due to this fact!

Frank

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AB6Q0653.jpg AB6Q0649.jpg

Better pix came to me late yesterday

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any overdate either. That reverse condition will certainly knock the value down a couple of grades also.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Such a pretty coin, nothing quite like early American silver, congrats to your friend.......if helpful, the coin in my avatar, an 1800 Draped Bust Dime, was found by me in 2009 and ANACS slabbed it as VF-35 Details/Environmental Damage ......more pictures if you click on the banner link below the pic.......

I think this dime would grade very similar to mine but I think the damage in this case outweighs any environmental damage so it would likely come back with VF Details, Damaged or Scratched.

HH all!

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread