1795 Large Cent S-76a - advice/value?

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. I'm new here, and brand new to metal detecting. But this is not about a find, or metal detecting at all.

Many moons ago, an uncle who has since passed gave me a couple of coins, as I was a budding numismatist when I was young, and I put them away.

Recently pulled them out, and one is a 1795 Large Cent. His notes on a small paper said S-76a, and until last night, I never knew what that meant. I was able to confirm that the coin is a Sheldon 76a, as it has a lettered edge, and weighs a bit over 13g (my scale doesn't do fractional grams). Condition is less then spectacular. It's very close to being slick, and even though the lettered edge is an attempt to reduce the chance of filing, the coin is close to, but not perfectly round. You can see missing letters, and feel where it doesn't feel right.

My question(s) are;
would this be worth having it graded? And who would be the preferred grading co (PGCS/NGC/or?)
anyone want to take a guess at what the grade is?
Value?
Is the S-76a (listed as 'very scarce" by coinfacts.com) more desirable then most other 1795's?

Thanks!

I took some quick snaps of the coin, but you have to excuse the dust (I couldn't see the dust until I saw it in the pics);

IMG_0114.JPG IMG_0119.JPG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0118.JPG

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all. I'm new here, and brand new to metal detecting. But this is not about a find, or metal detecting at all.

Many moons ago, an uncle who has since passed gave me a couple of coins, as I was a budding numismatist when I was young, and I put them away.

Recently pulled them out, and one is a 1795 Large Cent. His notes on a small paper said S-76a, and until last night, I never knew what that meant. I was able to confirm that the coin is a Sheldon 76a, as it has a lettered edge, and weighs a bit over 13g (my scale doesn't do fractional grams). Condition is less then spectacular. It's very close to being slick, and even though the lettered edge is an attempt to reduce the chance of filing, the coin is close to, but not perfectly round. You can see missing letters, and feel where it doesn't feel right.

My question(s) are;
would this be worth having it graded? And who would be the preferred grading co (PGCS/NGC/or?)
anyone want to take a guess at what the grade is?
Value?
Is the S-76a (listed as 'very scarce" by coinfacts.com) more desirable then most other 1795's?

Thanks!

I took some quick snaps of the coin, but you have to excuse the dust (I couldn't see the dust until I saw it in the pics);

View attachment 1402991 View attachment 1402994 View attachment 1402992 View attachment 1402993

Is it worth having it graded? Probably not in that condition. It is a nice genuine 1795 large cent. Enjoy it.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not sure that I can agree with assessments as I cannot find a single S-76a that is up for auction or has sold on eBay nor can I find any that have sold anywhere else! To me, that points to it not only being significantly more rare than most of the other Varieties that have sold or are up for auction and thus, potentially worth more. Although I cannot find the Rarity number for the S-76a, it is possible that it is 4th in line behind the Sheldon NC-1, NC-2 and NC-3 Varieties as far as rarity and values are concerned.

Frank

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not sure that I can agree with assessments as I cannot find a single S-76a that is up for auction or has sold on eBay nor can I find any that have sold anywhere else! To me, that points to it not only being significantly more rare than most of the other Varieties that have sold or are up for auction and thus, potentially worth more. Although I cannot find the Rarity number for the S-76a, it is possible that it is 4th in line behind the Sheldon NC-1, NC-2 and NC-3 Varieties as far as rarity and values are concerned.

Frank

Frank,

There are several between auctions such as stacks, heritage, goldberg, and others.

It is an R5, so definitely a desirable variety, but not exceedingly rare like the NC varieties.

In that condition, I stand by the valuation given. In fact, a slabbed example sold on heritage in Good details, damaged for $207.

OP
OP
KirkS

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only thing about the ebay sold (or current), is that there aren't any S-76a varieties. The only S-76a varieties I can find that sold were through coin auctions, and they sold for $2k+, but the condition was better (VF's). So in this case, I didn't feel ebay was a good barometer of the value.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice early American coin, please do not clean it in any way. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
KirkS

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice early American coin, please do not clean it in any way. :icon_thumleft:

I know better (amazed how many don't!)

I have found a VG-8 that sold in 2008 for $1300+, and a VG that sold for $329 in 2013. Of course, there's also the one that sold for $155,250 in 2008 (MS65)!

I don't have plans to sell it any time soon, so I'm debating if there is a true benefit to have it slabbed & graded.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kirk; I have to agree with the $200 Value given above. The "good" that will come of having it slabbed is that you will get a definitive Grade, Certification and it will protect the coin from ANY further deterioration hence you could pass it on to your kids "safely" as well. THAT would end all questions about it for Posterity. IF you were ever going to sell it you would "know" what you have instead of a bunch of guess work ok. I suggest PCGS. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
How long ago did the auctions occur? I ask because if 5 to 10 or more years ago, the value of the coin has likely increased. Considering that and that so few examples exist above VF-30, has to have some effect on the lower grade specimens. Of course, a coin's value is only what a Collector is willing to pay but I feel that someone would gladly pay a little more to fill a hole in a set.

Frank

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Nevermind. Not being fair to the OP, so I decided to retract my statement.

Kirk: If you have any other coin questions, don't hesitate to ask on here or PM me.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Where is the argument?:icon_scratch: And by the use of "contrived", you are blatantly calling me a liar or fabricator of facts which I believe is uncalled for! Just because someone does not agree with an assessement you make or has another take on the subject, you think that they are attacking you, which is not the case. Get over your paranoia and yourself.

I point out what I know and see from research of what is and what isn't, part of it is based on facts of what I can find, while the remainder is conjecture. Am I correct in my assessments(?), some of the time! Am I wrong in my assessments(?), some of time and probably more than I am correct!

I make this last point and will not reply in this Thread again: One can surmise that because no specimens of this Scarce Variety have sold or are up for auction on eBay, points to the majority of owners and collectors of this particular variety, feeling that they are too valuable and rare to risk selling them via that venue.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
KirkS

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I've decided I'm going to have it graded and slabbed. A local auction house sends large quantities to be graded, and they will allow individuals to add to there batch, cutting the cost to $10 (+$15 in my case for the variety certification). For the $25 it will cost me, just having it slabbed to protect it is worth it. The grading will be a bonus to a degree.

Once this happens, I'll update this thread with what it was graded at.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At that price, slabbing would be a good deal.

OP
OP
KirkS

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just an update.

I (finally) got in to my LCS, and they have 2 very good graders, and one used to be a grader for NGC. The coin, in their opinion would be 'not gradable' due to rim damage (shaved rim), and at best would be a G4 Details, but most likely an AG3. So scratch sending it in. I did finally get it in an air tite holder, but that's all I'm going to do with it, unless LC values skyrocket. It'll be something my son can look at after I'm dead, and say "This was my Dad's, it's an old penny". LOL.

Thanks everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread