Gonefishn

Banned
Dec 15, 2016
Shenandoah valley
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no expert in metal detecting-or coins, or coin cleaning-and I definitely do not suggest cleaning coins, especially old copper coins (most I have seen are just too far gone)-but what good is it if you can't see the date/let alone the coin itself? I found an Indian Head Penny about a year ago...I cleaned it under running water with a toothbrush/tried some simple methods, still could not read the date...at some point I bought a can of "copper cream" made by "wrights" which is only for polishing copper cookware-wax on/wax off method. This stuff has no harsh etchers or acids, but oil/breaks apart built up corrosion.

One night I couldn't stand not being able to see the date on the penny so I put some 'copper cream' in the corner of a zip lock bag/jammed the coin into it, and went to bed. The coin 'was' awful-green and rough with build up...The next morning I noticed the white cream had turned green and there were small pieces of debris mixed in, it looked like the cream had absorbed the corrosion-I expected the worst-but what I found was awesome...Do not attempt to brush or rub your coin-just rinse it under warm water...it did not harm the coin at all-infact, I recently found another Indian Head and soaked it for 3 nights (rinsing the coin/changing the cream nightly) and it turned out as good as a 100 year old copper coin buried in acidic soil could turn out....here's a before an after of the 1887 Indian Head then just an 'after' of the 1909-both of these coins were in awful shape when I dug them, but at least I can see the date 20160821_081621.jpg 20170121_230849.jpg 20170121_230849.jpg

Attachments

• 20170121_230933.jpg
    20170121_230933.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 88

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When all else has failed, use as a last result I guess. At least you now have tried.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A method to keep in mind. Thank you

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
The results speak for themselves, again, this method will be for the worst cases.
I would like to see your method on a coin with light to medium corrosion, just to compare to other coins cleaned by other methods. Sometimes the worst corrosion hides a really toasty coin, by cleaning up one with less corrosion we may be able to determine that the coin has good details already and just needs to have a lighter cleaning than the really crunchy ones.
If its as good as it looks and is not harmful, it's certainly something to consider

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread