Professional cleaning?

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Last weekend I found a key date Barber half.

I took it home, rinsed it in water and put it in olive oil where it remains.

The detail is good, but it came from a field that is next to Puget Sound. All coins pulled from this field have 'crud' on them.

My procedure is to determine the date and mint, and if not rare, I scrub them with salt to remove this material.

It does come off, but obviously damages value if the coin is rare.

I just want to remove it so that I can enjoy the coin, and see all the detail.

This one is different, so I am thinking of sending it in to be professionally cleaned and graded.

What do you think? See pics in this link.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All methods I'm aware of will remove some of the surface metal. I prefer a vinegar soak with crusty silver. I use Ezest/Jewelluster jewelry dip for minor tarnish. You could also try electrolysis or peroxide too. Try them on a junk Roosie with similar damage first to see which method you like the best.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
All methods I'm aware of will remove some of the surface metal. I prefer a vinegar soak with crusty silver. I use Ezest/Jewelluster jewelry dip for minor tarnish. You could also try electrolysis or peroxide too. Try them on a junk Roosie with similar damage first to see which method you like the best.

As far as I know the only method that will remove "gunk" or buildup from silver coins is the baking soda method. Of course, it will also leave your coin "improperly cleaned" and un-naturally shiny.

The "dipping" method, aka Ezest, will not remove gunk/buildup from silver coins. It will only remove the fine layer of surface tarnish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread