cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could this be a double mint Mark D/S or S/S
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485750798.531102.jpg my coin ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485750798.531102.jpg and could it be doubled spiked Eye ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485917980.598388.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485917980.598388.jpg
1878-S_VAM-108_PLATE_2_13_OCT_2010.jpg found online looks close
I do apologize I am still learning about coins thank you for your patience

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't tell. Looks like the coin has seen quite a bit of abuse over the years.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a D over S, not double D or double S. nice find.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I just had to make one quick post about this Mint mark! I have specialized in RPM's and OMM's as well as other Mint mark Varieties for well over 20 years and although there is some extra metal on the lower two thirds of the "S" Mint mark, I don't believe that it is the result of the Repunching of another "S" or an "S" over a "D" or "S" over a "O" Mint Mark. I believe that the Die likely chipped along the periphery of the Mint mark wall of the Die and metal filled the extra void.

Frank

Last edited:

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure that if it was a D over S there would be a hook at the top left corner of the S. I may be wrong though.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Cheech,

While you show is the "S" Mint mark, you never devulged the Date of the Morgan Silver Dollar, so how can we compare it to anything??!! There are a lot of VAM-108's but no matter, your's is not the particular VAM-108 that you posted pics of. Note: that the "S" over "S" Mint mark on this particular VAM as shown in the pics, is perfectly centered between the "D" and "O" of DOLLAR while the "S" Mint mark on your' coin is shifted to the left. Therefore, they were not struck with the same Die or from a Die produced from the same Master Die. I cannot comment on the possibility of a Double Spiked Eye as I have no Date to go by when searching VAMs to compare it with. The Die characteristics shown with pointers, could actually be just Die dots from damage to the Die during repairs or during the process of minting coins.

Frank

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheech,

While you show is the "S" Mint mark, you never devulged the Date of the Morgan Silver Dollar, so how can we compare it to anything??!! There are a lot of VAM-108's but no matter, your's is not the particular VAM-108 that you posted pics of. Note: that the "S" over "S" Mint mark on this particular VAM as shown in the pics, is perfectly centered between the "D" and "O" of DOLLAR while the "S" Mint mark on your' coin is shifted to the left. Therefore, they were not struck with the same Die or from a Die produced from the same Master Die. I cannot comment on the possibility of a Double Spiked Eye as I have no Date to go by when searching VAMs to compare it with. The Die characteristics shown with pointers, could actually be just Die dots from damage to the Die during repairs or during the process of minting coins.

Frank

1878 7TF
Thank you for the help

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
1878 7TF
Thank you for the help

Thanks and I hope I was not too brash in my previous reply! Also, can you tell us whether it is a B1 "Long" Nock Reverse or a B2 "Short" Nock Reverse? This is needed to determine if it is a VAM and which one!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks and I hope I was not too brash in my previous reply! Also, can you tell us whether it is a B1 "Long" Nock Reverse or a B2 "Short" Nock Reverse? This is needed to determine if it is a VAM and which one!

Frank

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485992329.567528.jpg
B2

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

VAM-73 is close but it appears that the Mint mark on your' coin is still a little bit further to the left. However, that could be my perception of viewing the coin via pics! Also, try VAM-107 as it looks close as well. If you can match several Die Characteristics on a specific VAM to your' coin and they match, then you might have the correct VAM. As stated, I don't think the Mint mark on your' coin is an RPM or OMM, so only focus on alignment when comparing your' coin to a specific VAM. I hope this helps you identify whether your' coin is a VAM or not! Good luck!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread