2016 P Fort Moultrie South Carolina State Quarter error

OhioDeb

May 16, 2011
westcentral Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
103_1822.JPG 103_1824.JPG 103_1825.JPG I have a 2016 P Fort Moultrie South Carolina State Quarter that the hat on the man has barely an emblem. Need a magnifying glass to see it. Little off on the detail in the rocks. There is a nick above the hat in the rim. The George Washington head is not detailed. There are scratches near his back hair and also under the ty in Liberty. They do not cross Washington's head. On the other side, the scratches come off the flag. The UNUM word is dark. The D and S in United States is off color. Like skidded on. So I only see one error for this coin on ebay. Extra ontop the hat. I don't have money to register this or anything. Any suggestions? Hold it and see if it comes up? sell it on ebay? What do you think? :bunny:

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no answers without a photo, like asking for surgery without visiting a doctor

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus it's not a state quarter. Sounds like either wear or struck through grease.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you will see those "stretch marks" on many of the issues with the inset ring on the reverse where the date & motto are pressed. my feel is just metal fatigue :BangHead:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
you will see those "stretch marks" on many of the issues with the inset ring on the reverse where the date & motto are pressed. my feel is just metal fatigue :BangHead:

I believe you are correct that the coin suffered from a Die that had metal fatigue (Die Deterioration)! Also, it appears that some Mint employee may have gotten a little too rambunctious in grinding and polishing the Dies when doing repairs. Circulation wear can also be factored in as well.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread