Our Modern Clad....

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you think about it, coins that we hold dearly today, were nothing more than current common currency back in the day, just pocket change, much like we think about coins today. But those coins were made of precious and semi-precious metals, and had historic meaning and value, but they weren't really thought of as being much more then 'money'.

So when it comes to today's modern coins, which we all find to be lacking much, will they ever have collector's value? There are millions (billions?) of each coin made, and they're made of metals just a notch above pot metal. IMO, I think it would literally take centuries before any modern common coin becomes 'collectible'. What say you?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Ace is right. The wonderful world of errors, in my opinion, is a very lucrative part of the coin searching mix. Remember, there is a market for almost everything.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Enamel is also on top of this. While many varieties are less valuable than errors in similar condition, there are many exceptions. Especially if a variety is the result of a single die pairing.

KirkS, do these few replies to your original post help you at all?

Time for more coffee. Espresso. Straight shots.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget that modern coins tend to disintegrate in the soil. So while more are minted, they are literally falling apart in the ground/ocean. Unlike the older currencies that were a bit more resistant to corrosion.

So that should add some value to the modern coins that manage to sick around.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the zinc cents rot, but the others hold up except for discoloration.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunting for errors sucks. We need to return to printing real money's.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you think about it, coins that we hold dearly today, were nothing more than current common currency back in the day, just pocket change, much like we think about coins today. But those coins were made of precious and semi-precious metals, and had historic meaning and value, but they weren't really thought of as being much more then 'money'.

So when it comes to today's modern coins, which we all find to be lacking much, will they ever have collector's value? There are millions (billions?) of each coin made, and they're made of metals just a notch above pot metal. IMO, I think it would literally take centuries before any modern common coin becomes 'collectible'. What say you?

VERY TRUE STATEMENT, AS well as the first reply that I can already see.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget that modern coins tend to disintegrate in the soil. So while more are minted, they are literally falling apart in the ground/ocean. Unlike the older currencies that were a bit more resistant to corrosion.

So that should add some value to the modern coins that manage to sick around.

True.
but We are talking "Billions"...
Wish I had a Billion Cents. LOL

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the zinc cents rot, but the others hold up except for discoloration.

The CN coins still tend to 'pit' over the years.

Also kinda like we don't dig to many nice Steele 'War' Cents.

Read here "Scrap Metals" that Zinc has risen in price of late.

Our US Cent may be gone in the next decade ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread