eBay shyster help

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
So I purchased a coin lot on eBay back on the 1st of March after 8 or 9 days it hadn't shown up. I reached out the seller and he immediately issued a full refund because 'it must have gotten lost in the mail'. There is no tracking number associated with the shipment. I asked him when he sent it and he said it shipped on the 23rd of February and should have arrived on the 25th. Is that that couldn't be right. He then gave me someone else name and address that apparently he shipped something to on the 23rd. I explained that it wasn't my lot and he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I think the lot sold for less than it should have, maybe less than he's expecting. Obviously I can leave of substantially review, but do I have any recourse for getting the lot I purchased?

Thanks

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It may have been an honest mistake. Besides, you may want to purchase from this person again as long as their FB is good.

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any package shipped gets a tracking number, even at the post office. Unless he just loaded it up with stamps but I doubt it.
I expect that he didn't ship it, it will most likely show up for bid again.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I purchased a coin lot on eBay back on the 1st of March after 8 or 9 days it hadn't shown up. I reached out the seller and he immediately issued a full refund because 'it must have gotten lost in the mail'. There is no tracking number associated with the shipment. I asked him when he sent it and he said it shipped on the 23rd of February and should have arrived on the 25th. Is that that couldn't be right. He then gave me someone else name and address that apparently he shipped something to on the 23rd. I explained that it wasn't my lot and he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I think the lot sold for less than it should have, maybe less than he's expecting. Obviously I can leave of substantially review, but do I have any recourse for getting the lot I purchased?

Thanks

I think the part in bold says it all, he probably realised his error and thought twice. I'm not saying it's right, after all a deals a deal. To call him a shyster is a bit strong IMO, after all he refunded you.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Any package shipped gets a tracking number, even at the post office. Unless he just loaded it up with stamps but I doubt it.

I buy stamp collections all the time. I buy below the face value. I could care less about the stamps, but I use them for all my shipments. My parcels will literally be covered with stamps except for the address being visible. My local postmaster won't bother counting to ensure the correct amount is there. I tell him how much I affixed and he prints out a barcode to affix for tracking. I sometimes manually type in the tracking, but often I don't bother. My seller account has 100% positive feedback and it's been active since 1999.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I send low value coins with 70 cent non machineable shipping, there is NO tracking
higher value always goes with tracking--which means SQUAT---- 27 silver dimes were shipped and STOLEN by the PO. the investigation could not locate the parcel or the contents, but tracking meant the buyer got a refund and I got paid by Ebay buyer protection plan. took 4 months and the PO offered "apologies for my inconvenience"--- postal worker got free silver. sent about 10 silver dimes to BEEZ0404 20 months ago without tracking------- he never got the coins--- more PO theft_________________IT DOES HAPPEN. CW GS button sent to Florida 2 years ago ---never got there. Barber dime sent within NY 3 years ago---- buyer is still waiting. gold plated half sent to Long Island last year---- YUP, you guessed it------lots of thieving mail workers. I ALWAYS get a receipt whether I use tracking or not--- a photo is sent to buyer when they claim item was not received. at least I prove it was sent, most buyers are well aware of things gettin' "LOST IN THE MAIL" only the JERK from Long Island gave me bad feedback---if you sell to a creep named Jeffrey from Bay Shore, NY 11706 be sure it ships with tracking, the MOOK got his $2.54 refund from Ebay & I got his snarky, insulting and RUDE feedback. a recent sale of $63 to a woman who claimed her CC purchase was "unauthorized" was rejected by Ebay, as all info and tracking showed the item was sent & received by her. some buyers can be real :censored:holes :BangHead:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is patently incorrect, simple letters and other mail do not automatically get tracking numbers. Hey Ace, you all dug out yet?? I hear you guys got more than we did down here in Rockland County, and we got plenty!!

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
27 miserable :censored:inches :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: & more wind than a Schumer :laughing7:
This is patently incorrect, simple letters and other mail do not automatically get tracking numbers. Hey Ace, you all dug out yet?? I hear you guys got more than we did down here in Rockland County, and we got plenty!!

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell him how much I affixed and he prints out a barcode to affix for tracking.

The barcode that you see on envelopes is not a tracking barcode, it is an address barcode. That is why they tell you not to reuse envelopes you get in the mail. It is only for the automated systems to read, sort, and process the mail, not to track it.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Appreciate all the feedback. I'm over it and moved on. I've several hundred items off eBay, had 5-6 less than great experiences. This is the first time I've left negative feedback. My basis was the individuals insistence that he shipped me the coins on Feb 23 for a lot I purchased on March 1. When I called him on it I never heard back from him.

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So a letter is a package??? Geessse!
I have shipped hundreds of packages, they all get tracking! Go ahead and over analyze this statement too

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
So a letter is a package??? Geessse!
I have shipped hundreds of packages, they all get tracking! Go ahead and over analyze this statement too

Dude... No, they dont. Not every package or letter gets tracking. It is included for some classes of mail and an optional service for others.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(1) only "parcels" are tracked. the USPS website gives the criteria for dimensions & weight minimum & maximum.
(2) non machineable means hand cancelled 49 cents + 21 cent surcharge--- no tracking.
shipping a rigid object like a coin as a 1ST class letter means good chance the conveyor machine will kill the envelope & maybe the item too--- not good. use 1 or 2 only and ALWAYS have return address.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread