Paper thin penny

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this the other night while metal detecting, 99.99% sure it was at the beach, and most likely wet salt sand if it was (also went to a park that night). At first I thought it was a dime, as the diameter is smaller then a penny, but nope, it's a penny.

I guess it's from salt corrosion, but it stayed copper-colored, so I'm not sure. The pictures don't show the detail well, but on the obverse you can definitely make out Lincoln's profile, parts of the word 'LIBERTY', what appears to be a '2' in the date area. On the reverse, you can easily see the Lincoln Memorial, and the words 'ONE CENT'. This surprised me as I would've figured that all detail would've been gone on at least one side. Seems like it deteriorated evenly on both sides?

Ever see one like this before? Any insight into it's demise?

IMG_6867 (Small).JPG IMG_6871 (Small).JPG IMG_6872 (Small).JPG

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I have seen quite a few and even had one or two just like it many years ago! Salt along with shifting beach sands were likely the cause on your' coin and the one that I had as well. I have seen some that were dissolved by acid.

Frank

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach corrosion/erosion. I have a whole can full of those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread