1800's silver spill!! Also scratched two off the bucket list.

chefjuan

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And all in two hours.....

Well I had a great hunt. Got a rando permission for an 1830 farm house about an hour away, I only had 4 or so hours to detect so it was a gamble. I could stay close to home and get in at least another hour of digging but I took the gamble.

It paid off!

Apparently this isn't any old 1830's farm house, this is a virgin property!!! Yes!

I forced my body and mind into submission and only concentrated on a 30x40' area right in front of the house.

"Don't dig jumpy signals" I said: wrong
"No irons nails" I said lol: wrong

After two hours I got:

5 IHP
6 Wheat cents
V-nickel (toastie as usual)
1952 Franklin Half! (Bucket lister)

Drum roll....

In one hole barely 5 inches deep...

Two seated quarters (bucket listers!) a seated dime and a barber dime!!

Ho-lee-shipwreck!

Some great relics including an intact kids shoe buckle, gold (?) clasp charm, really nice ladies windup necklace or pocket watch (left for homeowner) harmonica reed and some other odds n ends

No buckles or toys??! Odd. I really thought a few times that I was digging a matchbox car but no. Not a lot of nails exept for a nail "spill" of epic proportions which I failed at taking a photo of. It was hilarious.

Anyway here are the pics!
Thanks for looking!

Chef IMG_0096.JPG IMG_0098.JPG IMG_0107.JPG IMG_0108.JPG IMG_0109.JPG IMG_0103.JPG IMG_0102.JPG IMG_0112.JPG IMG_0110.JPG IMG_0114.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great hunt. Love the pocket watch. WTG :icon_thumright:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
now that's a great hunt! A dream hunt even. The coolest thing is seeing the wear progression on the coins - the oldest is the most worn, and the barber is relatively crisp - leads to a late 1890s drop! Very cool.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! This would be viewed more in the metal detecting forum!

OP
OP
C

chefjuan

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that's a great hunt! A dream hunt even. The coolest thing is seeing the wear progression on the coins - the oldest is the most worn, and the barber is relatively crisp - leads to a late 1890s drop! Very cool.

I know! I loved that too. I hope to get to come back a few times, I haven't even set foot in the fields yet.... ugh....patience

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a hunt of the year and that silver spill is absolutely epic! It's amazing that you found an authentic late 1890's silver spill. You should definitely post this over in Today's Finds as a lot of detectorists would love to experience this amazing hunt. Congratulations!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asian Maria at BofA says HI!!!. nice assorted entrees plus dessert & a cocktail :occasion14::laughing7:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!
Depending on the Dates of the IH's The Barber Dime , (in that condition) my be the most Valuable Coin Find with the 1877 Quarter the Same or not far behind.

All those Quarters , SLD, Would be "GIS" finds for me to.
"GIS" 'The Gig in the Sky'.

OP
OP
C

chefjuan

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asian Maria at BofA says HI!!!. nice assorted entrees plus dessert & a cocktail :occasion14::laughing7:

What?! You know Anne ( I know her as Anne) lol that's cool. Do you pick up boxes there?

And thanks ;)

OP
OP
C

chefjuan

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!
Depending on the Dates of the IH's The Barber Dime , (in that condition) my be the most Valuable Coin Find with the 1877 Quarter the Same or not far behind.

All those Quarters , SLD, Would be "GIS" finds for me to.
"GIS" 'The Gig in the Sky'.

You are about right. The dime and the quarter are about the same. And that being not all that much. I'm still amazed at the fact that someone lost $.70 around 1892 and actually lost it! That was serious money then! The coins weren't even that deep, I was shocked. I tried to post a video of me live digging the fourth quarter which was about 3" away from the first three.

That was fun.

Thanks for looking

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you actually have a written out bucket list? Id be interested in using it lol.

OP
OP
C

chefjuan

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you actually have a written out bucket list? Id be interested in using it lol.

Lol. Well no, but I tell myself every year "this is what I'm going to find"

This years it was a silver half and a trime. The quarter wasn't on it because they are so friggin' rare to dig so I didn't think about it. Trime is still alive, I hope to s thatch it off soon.... lol

Thanks

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got my '52 in St. Remy & a '53 Trime in Town of Ulster. Frank got his '57 at same farm in Ulster. WE----3, You----ZERO. still want H-dime, H-cent, 3C nic.--- to go with my Half- wit :laughing7:
Lol. Well no, but I tell myself every year "this is what I'm going to find"

This years it was a silver half and a trime. The quarter wasn't on it because they are so friggin' rare to dig so I didn't think about it. Trime is still alive, I hope to s thatch it off soon.... lol

Thanks

OP
OP
C

chefjuan

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got my '52 in St. Remy & a '53 Trime in Town of Ulster. Frank got his '57 at same farm in Ulster. WE----3, You----ZERO. still want H-dime, H-cent, 3C nic.--- to go with my Half- wit :laughing7:

Lol. Yeah half cent and 3c nick would be sweet digs!!!

Hope we get to meet up again sometime! I got some fields but they are a trip, love to bring you guys though just takes some planning

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread