All Treasure Hunting
20170421_163459.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
By golly...gee...wow, it appears that you may have a bonafide Error coin. It is hard to say with certainty that it is a genuine error or it is a man-made error without the coin in hand and examining the clip with a strong Gem Loupe or Microscope but it is a good possibility and congrats!

Frank

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks legit to me. I can see distortion on the opposite rim. Nice!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
It appears so. Huntsman is correct. An examination by someone familiar with clipped planchettes will confirm if the damage is pre-mint or post mint.

A few things you have going for you on this one.

No zinc visible on clipped edge. This indicates that the planchette was clipped, probably while still in the punch press, and thus was damaged prior to plating.

The appearance of a clean cut. Again, an indication of damage prior to plating.

There is still the possibility of post mint damage. But based on the image provided, it does appear to be genuine clipped coin.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh boy, another zinc cent missing part of the rim! :laughing7: Sorry, I couldn't resist! It's just that I have found thousands of partial Zincolns through the years and just can't get too excited about them. Nice find.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks good to me. A fake clip would show the Zinc, and would show a pinch line about half way through the clip. Looks like you found $3.

Good one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions