enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appears to be a struck through capped die! Still one on my bucket list. Frank will weigh in on this, probably tomorrow. Nice find!

OP
OP
D

DC METRO CRH

Greenie
May 3, 2017
DC METRO AREA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thanks guys!:icon_thumleft:
I was expecting to hear that it was caused by a human. Is there any value with submitting it for certification/grading?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While such an Error Coin definitely has much value above and beyond mere face value, the cost of having it certified, graded and the Error attributed, would be cost prohibitive if planning on selling the coin! Depending on the day of the month, the day of the week, the time of day and the temperament of any bidders for the coin, if it went up for auction in the Raw, it would likely only fetch anywhere from $20 to $50 but who truly knows for sure until sold.

Frank

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, everybody thinks you have to have everything graded and certified. Most of the time it costs more to have them put in a slab than the coin is valued. Only time it applies is if the coin has a very high grade and that population is low.

OP
OP
D

DC METRO CRH

Greenie
May 3, 2017
DC METRO AREA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I'm a newbie at this. I'm only on my first month of CRH and collecting. I got hooked after finding this Wounded Eagle in a Vending/Fare Card machine at a DC Metro station on the way to work one day.

image.jpeg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. I'm a newbie at this. I'm only on my first month of CRH and collecting. I got hooked after finding this Wounded Eagle in a Vending/Fare Card machine at a DC Metro station on the way to work one day.

View attachment 1447619

Nice find on the Wounded Eagle as the Die Gouges are somewhat hard for many folks to spot! There seems to be three different Varieties of this Error Coin, some with three Die Gouges, some with only two Die Gouges and one that has Die Gouges higher up on the Eagle and tilted more towards the East Northeast to West Southwest but there may be even more. Most are fairly elusive but the one that is most prominent, sought after, scarce and quite pricey is the Variety you found. http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/147883 I have found thousands of Error and Variety coins from Doubled Dies, "Poorman" Double Dies, RPMs, OMMs, RPDs, Re-Cut Dates, VAMs, Cuds, Brockages (Partial and Full), significant Die Breaks, Laminations, De-Laminations, Die Clashes, Counter-Die Clashes, Thick (Experimental or Foreign) Planchet, Clipped Planchets, Blank Planchets, Off-Center, Double & Triple Struck, Split Planchets, all sorts of Struck Thru Errors, Snorting or Sneezing Buffalo (Die Gouges), Die Dots, Die Dents, Rusted Die, and so many more but I have never found a 2000-P Sacagawea $1 Coin with the "Wounded Eagle" or with the "Reverse of 1999" (Cheerios Dollars). Sadly, frustration with the hobby and Coin Dealers caused me to sell most of my' collection which consisted of well over 15,000 Error and Variety Coins close to 10 years ago.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DC METRO CRH

Greenie
May 3, 2017
DC METRO AREA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Frank your story and wealth of knowledge sounds incredible. Sounds like you had one heck of a collection. Sorry to hear that that things went the way they did. However I'm very grateful that even after all of that frustration you still share your knowlege to newbies like me. I have so much to learn. I didn't even know all of those Error & Variety coins existed. I'm still just learning the basics such as Wide AM cents LoL. Thanks again!

OP
OP
D

DC METRO CRH

Greenie
May 3, 2017
DC METRO AREA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Frank! I sold this cent on an eBay auction for $96. I was very surprised that it sold for that much. Wow!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1488875

Hey Frank! I just pulled my 2nd Wounded Eagle in 4 months out of a DC Metro fare vending machine!:headbang:

While I appreciate the notoriety that you all give, it is not necessary and we should not forgot those (others) that contribute just as much or more in helping folks with questions and info about coins. Thanks!

Frank

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I appreciate the notoriety that you all give, it is not necessary and we should not forgot those (others) that contribute just as much or more in helping folks with questions and info about coins. Thanks!

Frank

Aw Frank, you know you're top dog, I learn from you quite often!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread