Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Picked this 1826 Half Cent up yesterday at a pawn shop. I know its not a key date, but the details are very nice.
I paid $25.00. The seller claimed it came from an older guys dads collection.
The seller believed it to be legit, and said if I had any problems with the authenticity that I could bring it back for a refund.
I'm a novice coin collector, and to me the details looked almost too good to be true.
Was thinking about sending it off to be graded.
Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.
Any ideas on the grade? Has this coin been cleaned or polished.? Is it worth sending it to NGC or PCGS?
First 2 pics are w/out flash, second two pics are with LED Flash.
Thanks

Attachments

• P5140003.JPG
    P5140003.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 105
  • P5140004.JPG
    P5140004.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 88
  • P5140005.JPG
    P5140005.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 109
  • P5140006.JPG
    P5140006.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 118

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be a strong XF, but, has a little corrosion in spots. Not bad though, still probably in the $175 range once it's slabbed. Your choice as to do it or not. Personally, unless I was going to sell it online, I wouldn't. Not worth the extra cost to me.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks to be a strong XF, but, has a little corrosion in spots. Not bad though, still probably in the $175 range once it's slabbed. Your choice as to do it or not. Personally, unless I was going to sell it online, I wouldn't. Not worth the extra cost to me.
Thanks Cuda. I bought it because of the details, and its probably one of those coins that I will likely never dig.
$25 dollars seemed like a good price just due to how fine the details are.
It was so nice that it kind of had me thinking this might be a fantasy coin.
I have never had a coin slabbed, and still uncertain if I should do so.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if it is real or not but I do think it is a beautiful coin.

I wish you hadn't said it is a coin you would likely never dig. I have a whole list of coins that I will likely never dig but thinking we WILL dig them keeps us going! I guess I am saying, don't think like that!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am certain that it is genuine as the details are crisp and all details (images, lettering and date) terminate or sharply meet the fields. I agree with cudamark's assessment of the grade and advice! The coin would surely grade AU if it were not for the extra wear on the Reverse. To answer your other questions, it may have had a cleaning long ago but it really does not show the evidence of it. The coin has not been polished per see except for the polishing it may have received in someone's pocket.

Frank

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish our pawn shops were like the ones you guys go to. Our pawn shops always have coins overpriced!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Today I went to pick up my pawned half cent and it was gone? He said I should contact you to get it back. My $25 is in the mail. Thank you. Seriously, nice find. The novelty and antiquity of half cents sends their 'cool factor' through the roof. Congrats.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Realistically, it is worth around $100. Not worth getting it slabbed, IMO. Still an awesome coin.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know why I did not consider attributing the Variety of bonepicker's 1826 Half Cent before now but I didn't and am sorry! The coin is in fact a Cohen-2 (C-2) Variety with the end of the upper most Leaf Tip in the Wreath centered almost directly underneath the last "S" in STATES. Although it only has a Rarity of 3+ (R-3+), it is a Scarce Variety and much more rare than the only other listed Cohen Variety which is a C-1 and which is Very Common. The coin should actually be worth close to $250 but could fetch upwards to $300 on a good day.

Frank

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know why I did not consider attributing the Variety of bonepicker's 1826 Half Cent before now but I didn't and am sorry! The coin is in fact a Cohen-2 (C-2) Variety with the end of the upper most Leaf Tip in the Wreath centered almost directly underneath the last "S" in STATES. Although it only has a Rarity of 3+ (R-3+), it is a Scarce Variety and much more rare than the only other listed Cohen Variety which is a C-1 and which is Very Common. The coin should actually be worth close to $250 but could fetch upwards to $300 on a good day.

Frank
Now that is pretty cool. That 25 dollar investment just keeps looking better. What would NGC or PCGS charge to slab it, and who would you recommend.? Might be worth it, if that is the case.
Thanks again.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that is pretty cool. That 25 dollar investment just keeps looking better. What would NGC or PCGS charge to slab it, and who would you recommend.? Might be worth it, if that is the case.
Thanks again.

PCGS would be my first choice but you actually might come out better profit-wise by not paying to have the coin certified, graded and the variety attributed on the Holder's label.

Frank

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job BP.
Just caught yr Nice Find.

Have it slabbed if you like , & like you I have never had a coin slabbed.

imo ..E bay would be the best place to sell , but I think you want to keep it.

Those old LC/ HC coins are hard to dig in the South, but never say never. I think you stated you got an old reale or a piece or 2. ??? Once I dig one ill get the titles right.

Again Very Nice Buy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread