cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't have a problem getting any of the '75's (P,D, or S) when I put together my set. :dontknow:

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Are you looking for a coin from a mint set, or from a roll of unc. coins? Would a nice "looks unc." coin do? Do you need examples from all three mints? In the case of Denver minted coins, in 1975 the mint letter was still punched into the obverse die by engravers. You can get a small collection of "floating mint marks" from modern U.S. coinage. Sometimes there are really obvious differences with the mint letters way off center from where you would expect them. It's a nice inexpensive way to collect modern coins. Even with millions and millions of coins made, there are some modern coins that seem to be scarce. The 1982-3 quarters are a good example of that. I never see the Lincoln 2009 commemorative cents around here for instance. Modern Jefferson nickels have quite a few interesting varieties too. The 2006 Buffalo reverse has a couple interesting varieties that bring good money. I just checked my Jefferson double die book, and I didn't see any DD for 1975, there still may be some out there waiting to be discovered, but doubled dies are known for nickels as late as 1981-D and 1982-D. Good Luck, Phil

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you looking for a coin from a mint set, or from a roll of unc. coins? Would a nice "looks unc." coin do? Do you need examples from all three mints? In the case of Denver minted coins, in 1975 the mint letter was still punched into the obverse die by engravers. You can get a small collection of "floating mint marks" from modern U.S. coinage. Sometimes there are really obvious differences with the mint letters way off center from where you would expect them. It's a nice inexpensive way to collect modern coins. Even with millions and millions of coins made, there are some modern coins that seem to be scarce. The 1982-3 quarters are a good example of that. I never see the Lincoln 2009 commemorative cents around here for instance. Modern Jefferson nickels have quite a few interesting varieties too. The 2006 Buffalo reverse has a couple interesting varieties that bring good money. I just checked my Jefferson double die book, and I didn't see any DD for 1975, there still may be some out there waiting to be discovered, but doubled dies are known for nickels as late as 1981-D and 1982-D. Good Luck, Phil

He's just trying to finish the set. 1975P was one of the lower mintage coins in the 70's, but millions still made. One will show up!
Also, there's no such thing as "floating mint marks". They were punched into the dies at that time and unless attached to other elements they are within mint specs and add no value to the coin. It really gets my goat when I see these made up terms. I'm not blaming you, but these terms get passed around and new collectors think they add value. Like looking on eBay and seeing coins with mechanical doubling being passed off as true doubling and people waste their money on them.

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope to find another '75-D with high MM error. sold a VF for over $60. the '50-D is still proving to be a formidable adversary :BangHead:

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
I know enamel7 is one of the in-house "experts", but the term floating mint mark has been used for decades. Many older U.S. catalogs, which I no longer have, listed floating mint marks. Back then they had a small premium. I did not imply that there was additional value to the placement of mint letters on United States issues at the present time, but they are an inexpensive way to collect, and an excellent exercise for looking for modern coin varieties. Almost all the videos I have seen lately about coins stress values. "What's it worth", is always a popular question by collectors and non-collectors alike. it is true that collectors seldom place an additional value on mint mark location. Floating mint mark does NOT refer to a mint letter changing position on a single die while in use. There will usually be several die pairs used for any production run. Supposedly the mint letter is punched in the master dies now to insure consistency, but until a few years ago, the mint employees finished the working dies by adding the mint letter by hand which resulted in the mint letters appearing in slightly different positions sometimes. In fact, Q. David Bowers has offered a standing $1000 reward for a wildly placed Denver mint marked
nickel. I believe I saw reference to that offered by a TreasureNet member last year. I will try to find the post. You will get nay-sayers through out your life, and in almost all cases the negative comments come from someone who is not in the least bit interested in the topic. It is kind of a form of bullying. You keen-eyed T-Netters, whether you collect coins or not, can look at your small change accumulations and eventually find coins of the same date with widely varying placements of the mint letter. For us it is almost exclusively the "D" for Denver mint letter. That's another now widely accepted term. Actually, the "D" is a mint letter, not a mint mark. A mint mark meant something else at one time, referring to code symbols or initials in the early days of minting coinage. Hardly anyone has access to those interesting and scarce coins, so now we call mint letters mint marks. And it's O.K., it is accepted, everyone calls them mint marks, and we all know what that means. That is how language develops and evolves over time.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
As far as finding any 1975 nickels for your collection, try coin roll hunting. Just pick up a roll or two when you cash your check. As enamel7 said, you will find one, but you will have to work for it.
I just noticed "port ewen ace's post. That is the variety I was talking about. Different strokes for different folks. I looked through a bunch of nickels when I learned that this misplaced (floating) mint mark variety had a premium in hopes of finding one. I didn't. They must be scarce. If it gets promoted and ends up in the Red Book, the price will go up. I have a couple of 1927-D Lincoln Cents that had the mint marks applied late Friday afternoon, or early Monday morning. Ha-Ha!
Good Luck Everybody !!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the '75-D high MM I found was sold in March of 2016 for $54. here is the coin

IMG_2705.JPG IMG_2703.JPG

didn't get the $1000-------------------- just 1080X face value

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mint marks today are engraved into the working hub, not punched. All modern mint marks are in the same location. As for dies used there are literally hundreds of dies used. The so called floating mint marks are just different dies. As for numismatic terms that isn't one. Like calling a nickel with a die crack a "speared buffalo". Just a cheap name to draw attention.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will keep a eye out for you. Did not know the 1975 nickle was a keeper.

Ga_Farm_Hunter

May 7, 2017
Carrollton, GA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Garret AT MAX
Garrett ATX
Minelab GTX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have you tried going through bank rolls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

griffith 90

Feb 4, 2017
Montana
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as finding any 1975 nickels for your collection, try coin roll hunting. Just pick up a roll or two when you cash your check. As enamel7 said, you will find one, but you will have to work for it.
I just noticed "port ewen ace's post. That is the variety I was talking about. Different strokes for different folks. I looked through a bunch of nickels when I learned that this misplaced (floating) mint mark variety had a premium in hopes of finding one. I didn't. They must be scarce. If it gets promoted and ends up in the Red Book, the price will go up. I have a couple of 1927-D Lincoln Cents that had the mint marks applied late Friday afternoon, or early Monday morning. Ha-Ha!
Good Luck Everybody !!

So far CRHing is how I've built my set mostly au condition except the earley 60's.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the same problem years ago with a 62 P cent. I just could not find one no matter how much change I went through. Then again, being only 12 or so, my options were rather limited. I ended up finding one at the local mall during a coin show/sale. I think that I paid a whole $0.25 for it.

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not just buy them on eBay? You can get a 1975 P,D &S all uncirculated for less than $3.00?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread