Old coins, some newer. Father passed, what to do with them?

Akustaka

Jul 7, 2017
Leeds, Alabama
Detector(s) used
n/a
Primary Interest:
Other
So my father has recently passed and had left me with a huge, and I mean HUGE coin collection, over 80+ coins. Some new like a 2002 silver dollar, some old like a 1923 peace dollar. I do not necessarily know if this is exactly the correct place for this kind of thing but I have no lick of an idea of what to do with these and was hoping to potentially sell them? I tried calling afew auction places and got alittle information though nothing too valuable. And figured my next best bet would be a coin forum, which I see this involves itself with!

I could post pictures/give information if anyone could possible help me with all these coins! haha! Or atleast point me in any direction to go with them? though keep in mind I do not necessarily wish to start a coin collection myself, with my fathers passing I can no longer live in my current residence, since it was his home and he owes over 98k on it, and I'm only 21 working at Mc.Donalds x.x

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Akustaka,
I'm sorry about your dad's passing.
As for your coins, you may wish to post a few at a time (both sides).
No doubt you'll get some responses here regarding condition and value.
Welcome to Treasurenet !!
Don.......

OP
OP
A

Akustaka

Jul 7, 2017
Leeds, Alabama
Detector(s) used
n/a
Primary Interest:
Other
So should I just add them to this thread posting or make a new thread? I am around computers all the time and even consider my occupation to be within computer science, majored in computer electronics in highschool, though I've never used a forum thread xD

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I would do with them. I would find a coin show that is coming into your area. At the larger coin shows, you will get solid offers for your coins from some of the more reputable dealers. Like others stated here, get an idea of what they are worth first. Then, sell them to the coin dealers. It will bring you in more cash than just taking them to a local pawn store.:icon_king:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Save yourself a lot of time and trouble, and just send the coins to me. :skullflag:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spend $16 on the official REDBOOK of US coins (find it quick at Wallymart). all you need is in there so you get hosed by some grifter dealer. take some time to study what you have. check EBAY "sold" listing for real world pricing on coins of comparable quality. when ya finish handling the loot---- wash yer hands.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing. What seems like a huge task ahead shouldn't be rushed. 80+ coins is not a large collection. I would suggest posting group shots (5-10) coins here. Arrange them in rows so members can point out which ones will merit further attention. These select coins can then be further photographed up close to garner more in depth feedback. If you are looking to maximize the value, then your best bet will be to sell on eBay. Your fees will be 12%. If you need to sell quickly, then contact a dealer. You will not realize their full value as the dealer will need to make money.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I'd save them. Checking eBay sold for listings is a great place to get an idea of the going prices. A coin book is another, though you shouldn't expect to get book value for them (but at least you'll recognize a low ball). I personally use NGC's site to browse values quickly when online. You can go to google, type in, for example, "peace dollar NGC values", and one of the first links should be NGC's official website with a list of all peace dollar dates (including your 1923), mint marks, and grades. It will have prices corresponding to each. Very quick and easy. Works for foreign coins as well in a pinch. Hope this helps!

TwistedT

Nov 15, 2014
Westmoreland County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher F5,
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spend $16 on the official REDBOOK of US coins (find it quick at Wallymart). all you need is in there so you get hosed by some grifter dealer. take some time to study what you have. check EBAY "sold" listing for real world pricing on coins of comparable quality.

+1
get yourself the newest price guide and look them up.
remember this - if you sell to a coin dealer, he will give you at best 60-70% of real value on any coin he wants to buy from you - nature of the business. best bet is to try to sell them yourself.
put a list of what you find here and guys here will also help you value them

Gizmo1211

Jun 20, 2017
Phoenix Az ( don't believe the "it's a dry heat" b
Detector(s) used
Still looking! Will update. Newbie to all.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry about your dad, I just went through that as well. A lot of good advice. I'd not rush right now..set them aside until you're sure you want to part with them.
If and when you're ready, read, read, read. So much good info to be had. Yes, dealers will offer a lot less than worth. All good advice here. Mine is just, if not in a hurry, wait, until you're sure you want to let them go. Good luck.
Karen

Gizmo1211

Jun 20, 2017
Phoenix Az ( don't believe the "it's a dry heat" b
Detector(s) used
Still looking! Will update. Newbie to all.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Akustaka, sorry I did not completely compute your specific situation when I answered before. I don't have a lot of experience myself in selling coins, but the people here do know a lot, and always willing to help, I have found.
I can just wish you well, say, knowledge will keep you from getting ripped off, and hang in there. Hope you have something worth tons!!! My best to you.
Karen

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Suggest start with buying a "U S Coin RED BOOK" as a start. You just might find it of interest and get involved in the hobby.

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this for real? This is a treasure site, most of us would love to have a coin collection left to us, especially if it was from family. Unless you need quick cash I would keep it. If you sell them you may regret it later in life. Besides, your a computer engineer in your profile,and why are you working at Mickey D's?

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you don't have a good camera to take pics to sell on ebay. Get a good flatbed scanner to capture images of them.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this for real? This is a treasure site, most of us would love to have a coin collection left to us, especially if it was from family. Unless you need quick cash I would keep it. If you sell them you may regret it later in life. Besides, your a computer engineer in your profile,and why are you working at Mickey D's?

I was wondering the same thing...

And oweing 98k on a house, i guess depending on the area and style of home, is probably not that bad. Rent out a room or two and get the bills paid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread