mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have two copper coins if anybody can help me identify them please. Both are about the size of a US quarter but they are much thinner.

Coin #1: I can make out the letters "ovidn" on the one side. The other side is in much worse shape but it looks like a bust of a man facing left.

Coin #2: The letters "urgund" are evident plus a few others scattered around the edge. The other side is pretty much useless as far as I can tell.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Coin 1.jpg
    Coin 1.jpg
    815.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Coin 1a.jpg
    Coin 1a.jpg
    653.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Coin 2.jpg
    Coin 2.jpg
    882 KB · Views: 70
  • Coin 2a.jpg
    Coin 2a.jpg
    758 KB · Views: 77

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top coin I think is Roman, and is meant to have PROVIDENT at the bottom, and two letters S-C (Senatus Consulto) either side of a Altar. The Obverse is a bear head left of ?? could be anybody, perhaps Augustus.

SS

OP
OP
mindcrime1988

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The top coin I think is Roman, and is meant to have PROVIDENT at the bottom, and two letters S-C (Senatus Consulto) either side of a Altar. The Obverse is a bear head left of ?? could be anybody, perhaps Augustus.

SS

Thanks a bunch Silver Searcher. I believe you are correct on this coin. I did a little bit of research though and from every other Augustus coin I saw, the word "Provident" is spelled out completely. Mine is missing the "E." I'm scratching my head on that one. :icon_scratch: I'll have to do a little more detective work and see what I can come up with. Thanks again.

OP
OP
mindcrime1988

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My gut tells me the bottom coin is from the Spanish Netherlands, but I have no time now to verify.
You might try looking up the legend: DUX.BURGUNDiae.ET.BRABANTiae.Z
Don.....

Once again you have proven to be an incredible resource Mackaydon! From your clue I was able to look this coin up and believe it is a Felipe V-Liard. Spanish Netherlands just as you said. They were made from 1709-1711. Too bad my coin is in horrible shape. :BangHead: Oh well, at least I still have some detail on it. Appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread