Coins on ebay

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking for some coin folders on ebay - has been a while since I've been out there looking for much in the coin area. I ran across several posting of what looks to be a lot of coins - but they don't list the coins by dates.

Mint **UNCIRCULATED** ~GEM PROOF~ USA Coin Old Mixed Lot Set Collection | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTATE-SALE...053268?hash=item237f8191d4:g:QKsAAOSwfVpYvgf2

Has anyone bought one of these packages?

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't bought any, but if there were any better coins in there, they would have listed them separately. It will be the most common low value coins that are not worth listing individually.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never trust these lots. Since the seller only gives you a certain amount of things in each lot, they probably will nitpick things that they want to keep for themselves, or as l.cutler said, they will give you the lowest possible value coins while still keeping with the description.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I haven't bought any, but if there were any better coins in there, they would have listed them separately. It will be the most common low value coins that are not worth listing individually.

I have listed these collections for the past year. In my case, I don't have the time or desire to list every coin individually. I only get 50 free listings and I'm not about to waste them by parsing out a collection lot with individual listings. I always include whatever I photograph and list. I don't use sample/stock photos. I start my listings at face value. I don't make much profit, and I certainly would make more if I sold them individually. But my motivation isn't in profit, but rather the volume in moving the bulk of collections. I buy collections, and in many cases, it is all or nothing. I don't cherrypick a collection like some dealers would be inclined to do. Consequently, I have built a reputation in the area as a buyer. Sellers aren't interested in selling a few coins and being left with the bulk remainder so I make a fair offer on it all. Right now, I have 7 large flat-rate boxes (the long ones) filled with coins (I'm not a fan of shipping packing material). Sell them and move on.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a few rules of thumb on eBay.. I never buy stock photo items, I never pay for anything that claims to be "unsearched" and I NORMALLY don't find any deals where people advertise it by "1 pound, 1/2 pound, 1/4 pound of silver coins" etc.. those normally use stock photos also. The only time I'd buy any of the above is where I either am A. looking to pay spot (and that's if I get lucky to find one for such) or B. found one under spot, which rarely ever happens.

I agree about sellers mainly picking through the coins in 95%+ of the cases. I have also found sellers like Diver_Down that are simply being honest about not having time/desire to pick through everything. Unfortunately that honesty is a hard to come by commodity when dealing with "unsearched" lots.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
every coin I list gets a Hi Res photo of both sides and a full description of the coins.
my big complaint is buyers who expect HQ coins dirt cheap----
I don't give good stuff away---ya' get what youze pay for --- homey aint's runnin' no "charity"
mooches can buy from a dummy who dont's be knowin' what "fair value" is

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread