1926 Far Six Canadian Nickel

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone! As some of you know, I like to check Coinstar machines out a lot. I've found so many cool things. Including this gem! I originally thought it was just a different coin until I flipped it over...and behold!
KG V Far 6 Nickel (key date).png
That is a 1926 King George V nickel! That's already wicked cool, to find one in America no less, but when I researched the coin further, I was shocked to find out I have the rare far 6 variant! I'm 100% sure it is a real one. I'm sad that the front of the coin is scarred (it looks like someone dragged a knife over it!). However, this is the first key date coin I have found in the wild. My cat Monster loved to play with my coins, and he passed away on July 26th..he must be watching on me from heaven and guiding me into the right direction!

I was worried it was counterfeit, but after comparing it to several examples, I am sure it is real! Score!

As far as what I would like to do with it, well, I want to get it graded. After that, I'm not exactly sure yet...but it is one fantastic find!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the find and the Variety! Normally I would recommend having a coin certified and graded if it is valuable enough to warrant it and/or the certification and grading will boost the value even more. It is a toss up with your' coin since the coin has value to Error and Variety Coin Collectors but the negative notation on the Holder's Label of the damage (scratches) on the Reverse, will likely hurt the value of the coin and/or the price it fetches if you ever decide to sell it. The coin appears to have VF-30+ details but subtraction for the damages, could take it down to a Net F-15 Grade, if they even assign a Grade or Net Grade. Of course, having the coin certified and graded is totally up to you.

Good luck!

Frank

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may very well be worth something if they grade it!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It may very well be worth something if they grade it!

It is up to you about the certification and grading but the coin already has value! If selling to someone who is unsure of the Variety, you just need a printout showing both Varieties (Near "6" and Far "6") to prove to them that your's is a Far "6" Variety to make the sell.

Frank

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is true, however a graded coin would certainly make the selling process easier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread