Shotgun Rolls.

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should I invest in some 1909 VDBS and some 40s,50s wheaties and a rolling machine? So I can do this.. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501785740.844627.jpg I smell a rat.. Has anyone found ANYTHING half decent in a shotgun roll?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I know for a fact that most of these auctions with such rolls are ripoff scams. Many of these Sellers, some of which are licensed Coin Dealers, have coin rolling machines and they purchase the old coin wrapping paper in bulk to make up Cent, Nickel and Dime rolls that will bring in bundles of money with no care that they are ripping off the Buyers.

Frank

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The paper rolls are worth more than the coins in most cases. I came across an auction many years ago of old inventory of some obscure bank paper rolls. I watched it out of curiosity. It realized some ridiculous amount, but to each their own. A couple weeks later this same obscure bank was being featured in newly discovered OBW rolls. GTFO.

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought 5000 wheat cents from a lady in CA for 250.00. I then bought some all 1800's rolls of Indian head pennies from a dude in florida. I bought another large lot of all below 1930's from a guy on thd b east cost. I bought 12 1909 VDB'S from someone. I bought a roll of merc's. I mixed them all up and sold them one roll at a time and described them just like they were and I made money. Enough that I did it 2 more times. I just bought a handtool and pull 50 coins throw them in a one sided crimped penny wrapper....crimp the other end with the tool and they were just like the ones advertised and bank tight....(I did not sell them as being old bank rolls.)
I did however do some research and found that you can order the same type wrappers from China (dirt cheap) with wear marks like these rolls. 99% of these are staged and fake. I had so many buyers message me about how my rolls killed these rolls it wasn't even funny....lol. But these guys do make some money doing them.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting thread , thx.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You paid about a hundred dollars too much for the wheaties!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a few wheat rolls, similar, but for a whole, whole lot less. They were fun to go through. Nothing overly exciting about the whole process. I think for $20 or so you can get rolls precrimped on one end and the plastic tool to crimp the other end. Of course, sometimes the FUN becomes astronomical as I bought a roll of unsearched (right) 1972 Lincolns and found FOUR type 5 double dies in the roll. Roll cost about $15. Each of that double over $50 each, but I kept all four.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread