I use to love collecting...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But I'm not sure what happened? Is it old age? I'm 37... Kids? Life? I got so bored with it. Had almost every coin from 1878- present. Maybe acquired them too quick in a hoarding style and got bored? Or does the hobby die out... I'll keep bullion if I can get it cheap. But with eBay and the quick buck, is that why I lost interest? Idk. Anyone else go through this? Out of all the coins I had, all I have left is a complete set of standing liberty quarters minus the 1916 and some bullion or junk silver.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blasphemy! In all seriousness though, maybe it was just time to cash in on your investment?

rcs

Mar 15, 2017
Western Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you chose a beautiful set to keep at least. I love SLQs.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most hobbies go through a dormant phase. That's why it's best to have more than one hobby. When one is getting stale, you can go full blast on another. Coin collecting will come around again sometime. :icon_thumleft:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Beachkid23: think about getting the kids interested, help them find the "best of the best" coins for their own folders. This is what I'm doing with my Lincoln cents (1909-current), folders for all my 13-grandkids., and also a complete silver Roosie folder set for my own 5-kids, finding & keeping the "best of the best" for the folders, anything else just gets stacked away. It keeps me busy. Give it a try, instead of throwing it away. You had the passion for collecting at some point in the past. Rekindle it again with the kids, and eventually the grandkids.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Three reasons come to mind! 1) No time to devote to the hobby. 2) Change in priorities due to either getting married, having kids or both. 3) Disgust with unscrupulous Coin Dealers.

Frank

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been collecting for years and I go through spurts when I add to collection and times that I don't even look at it. I have never lost interest. As the kids get older and move out it leaves me with more space to expand my collections......8-)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
everything changes as we age

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes .. same here. I used to run 600 ads on Ebay all at the same time, all of the time. Hit every garage sale/estate sale/flea market for years all over Oregon.... now years later I run no ads and hit no sales of any kind....

Just moved on...

I was selling on Ebay when there was only 1200 items on it total when I 1st started.... crazy...

I have a Christmas card hand signed by the Ebay employees for being one of the 1st power sellers...

It was a great time in those days when fees were low and shipping was super cheap...

Great memories...

Gary from Oregon

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I've lost interest because I'm looking for the next big score? Got my dealers license, I'm signed up at the local refinery? Kind of have a burn and turn policy... money is used better somewhere else. Idk

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe I've lost interest because I'm looking for the next big score? Got my dealers license, I'm signed up at the local refinery? Kind of have a burn and turn policy... money is used better somewhere else. Idk

Bk... That is the best policy if you are a licensed business but just remember, you can always set some of the special items aside just for your' own collection. However, don't get attached to them unless they are really special as with most businesses, you may have to sell them when you hit the bad lows in selling.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread