1981 Quarter error

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, I spend most of my time on the gold prospecting portion of TNet but I do have a small coin collection from when I was a kid, say 50 years ago. To this day I still look at every coin that passes through my hand. I found this quarter a few years ago and have not looked into it all so I'm starting now. Here is a picture, the back shows no flaws. Can anyone tell me if it is very rare and what would something like this be worth?

Thanks, Spillercanyon.

Attachments

• Tnet.JPG
    Tnet.JPG
    778.3 KB · Views: 179

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Very nice!......At first I wanted to say it has been struck through a piece of scrap copper shaving but as I zoom it appears that it is a lamination peel. However, I do not understand why it has a deep "slit" that follows much of the peel......It surely has value and I will be curious to hear other responses as well....

HH all!

Greg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be an improper mix, but since it's clad I'll wait to see what Frank has to say.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a stain over damage to me.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
almost looks like a sliver or burr of the interior metal from punching out the blank was stamped into the surface somehow? That or its just a stain but in not sure. any way you can confirm its not a stain

OP
OP
S

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the replies. It is definitely not a stain. Though not an avid collector, I have looked at 98% of all change that has passed through my hands in the past fifty years and have seen my share of stained coins, this is not one. Looking closer, I can see some of the top layer is muffed up (I'm sure that's a coin collecting term) between the two pieces of what I assume is copper. You can see the crack better as well, not sure why it crudely follows the center of the copper. Here are a few more shots from different angles and different lighting.

Thank, Spiller.

Attachments

• Tnet1.JPG
    Tnet1.JPG
    594.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Tnet2.JPG
    Tnet2.JPG
    705.9 KB · Views: 174
  • Tnet3.JPG
    Tnet3.JPG
    806.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Tnet4.JPG
    Tnet4.JPG
    655.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Tnet5.JPG
    Tnet5.JPG
    671.1 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
S

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also noticed near the rim of the coin that the top layer is slightly higher than the copper layer and the two layers are very distinct from each other, which to the complete novice like myself, would show it is not a stain.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
consider a major eruption of gas bubbles that caused a lamination lift. the lift peeled off during handling, leaving a too cool error coin

kind of like the Famed "clam shell" lamination found on 20 cent pieces, and a Ben half I got to hold with split double clam shells on the rim-- again-- alloy mix defect

Huntsman--- your turn :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread